Applications will be accepted on-line from June 19, 2019 until July 7, 2019 at the website address https://pueblowestmetro.com/172/Job-Opportunities
Manages the maintenance of District accounting records, preparation of financial accounting reports and statements. Responsible for the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers for all funds of the District requiring the professional application of governmental accounting principles and practices. Act as manager in managers absence.
Essential Job Functions
- Exercises direct, first-level supervision of positions, employees, operations and activities. Includes coordinating staff training, assigning and reviewing work, participating in the interview and selection process, making recommendations impacting disciplinary action, evaluating performance independently or in conjunction with manager.
- Works with the Accounting and Budget Manager to plan, direct, control and coordinate work programs of the department; establish and monitor controls to evaluate performance and takes appropriate actions to correct performance and to adjust program efforts to meet requirements.
- Plans, coordinates and supervises accounting functions including, but not limited to accounts payable, excise tax collection, financial accounting system and supports the annual financial audit.
- Supervises accounting technicians to ensure accurate and timely production of financial information.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll and required reporting.
- Maintains the general ledger system and subsidiary accounts and journals by preparing original and correcting journal entries to assure all financial data is included, valid, correctly categorized and balanced.
- Performs and oversees work in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the guidelines of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Revises accounts structure, reporting and recording procedures as necessary to deal with new and changed financial operations.
- Compiles data for periodic and special reports; prepares District financial statements, summaries, lists and research reports.
- Provides support needed for annual financial audit including year-end adjusting entries, GASB entries, related work papers and other documents.
- Assists and trains District departments staff on how to work with accounting systems and procedures.
- Assists with preparing the annual budget.
- Participates in budget hearings and preparation of final budgets.
- Fills in for other staff as necessary and/or required.
- Attends meetings, classes and trainings as required or requested by manager.
- Solicits changes to improve procedures that would result in efficiencies, cost savings and safety.
- Communicates actively, clearly and regularly with supervisor and co-workers on all work-related topics.
- Understands, observes, enforces and complies with all Governmental, Pueblo West Metropolitan District and Departmental policies, procedures and protocols when performing job duties.
- Possesses excellent oral and written skills to communicate effectively.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Pueblo West Metropolitan District employees from same or different departments/offices, entities, vendors, members of the community and all customers.
- Ensures that employees observe all safety procedures and practices in order to prevent injuries or damage.
- Schedules meetings with employees as needed to provide adequate information to ensure active communication at all levels.
- Effectively manages multiple projects at once.
- Effectively deals with stressful situations.
- Easily adapts to sudden and unexpected changes in work assignments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain and promote excellent relations and communications with co-workers, direct reports, and upper management.
- Knowledge of professional accounting theories, principles and practices as applied to accounting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Performs duties independently without close supervision.
- Supervises and mentors professional and support staff in a productive and positive manner.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including computers, computer software, calculators, printers, copiers, scanners, typewriters, and facsimile machines.
- Ability to operate accounting system in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Maintains accounting records and prepare reports.
Required Qualifications (Note: Any acceptable combination of education, training and experience that provides the above knowledge, abilities and skills may be substituted.)
- Bachelors degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting required.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CPA candidate preferred.
Minimum Experience Required
- Minimum two years experience performing accounting preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Must have and maintain a valid Colorado class R drivers license.
- Must successfully pass background check.
- The work is mostly sedentary with periods of light physical activity, and is performed in office surroundings.
- Frequent use of computer keyboard and other common accounting/office devices.
- The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing.
- Occasional heavy lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, crawling, crouching and climbing.
- Work is subject to frequent interruptions and recurring deadlines.
- The employee is required to occasionally work beyond normal scheduled hours.
Pueblo West Metropolitan District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $61,129.40 to $71,882.98 /year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Gym memberships or discounts
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Paid time off
- Other types of insurance