The ideal candidate will have three years of governmental experience as an Account Clerk, Accounting Assistant, or Accounting Technician, or similar position, with responsibilities in revenue receipting, accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable, or purchasing. Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated experience in two of the areas listed above, with a history of processing transactions at a high level of accuracy, providing exemplary customer service, and having a desire to learn and grow professionally in a progressive environment.
Tentative Recruitment Schedule
Application Deadline, 7/21/19 at 5:00 PM PST
Oral Exam Interviews 7/29
and Written Test, week of 8/5
Timeline may change without notice
Under basic supervision, performs a variety of routine to complex technical and administrative accounting support duties; reviews accounting records and transactions, processes transactions, reconciles discrepancies, balances financial records; and assists with payroll and financial reports.
As defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, essential functions may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs a variety of moderately difficult accounting support functions, including processing transactions, preparation and reconciliation of accounting records and reports, and the review and correction of transactions in compliance with City policies and quality standards; duties may vary according to job assignment.
- Creates invoices, process accounts receivable; maintains records, and prepares related reports.
- Processes accounts payable documents, verifies invoices and supporting documents for completeness, accuracy, and availability of budget funds; researches expenditure transactions, prepares expenditure reports; and provides advice to departments as needed.
- Prepares purchase orders; maintains vendor and purchase order files; compiles data and prepares related reports.
- Assists with the preparation of City payrolls; including entering personnel, benefit, deduction, or technical information in the payroll system, reviewing or verifying accuracy of timecards, providing processing support, and reconciling minor accounts or transactions.
- Assists City staff to resolve a variety of technical issues.
- Posts accounting transactions to computer ledgers; reviews source documents for compliance to rules and regulations; reviews and validates proper handling of accounting transactions within designated limits.
- Checks documents for validity and accuracy of information; performs mathematical calculations; records, files, sorts, and distributes related paperwork and documents.
- Processes applications and issues licenses and permits; reviews applications for accuracy.
- Maintains accounting and bookkeeping records and filing systems; enters data into computer systems; processes transactions, and updates accounts.
- Assists with year-end close process and preparation of related schedules
- May assist with compilation of the annual budget document
- Reports discrepancies and variances to supervisor.
- Provides customer service, responds to requests for information, and resolves customer service issues in a courteous and respectful manner; answers questions and provides basic information within scope of authority; updates, retrieves, and releases information according to procedures.
- Cross trains in other clerical and technical accounting duties.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Pacific Grove and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; AND two years government accounting experience, preferably with the City of Pacific Grove; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Experience in payroll, accounts payable and receivable highly desired.
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of accounting, bookkeeping, and records maintenance.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for public sector bookkeeping and accounting.
- Customer service standards and protocols.
- Business computers and standard software applications.
- Cash handling procedures.
- Performing a variety of accounting functions, using knowledge of government accounting procedures.
- Meeting deadlines and strict time frames for processing technical documents and reports.
- Correcting and updating financial information systems, and generating reports.
- Basic arithmetic; and basic financial and statistical techniques.
- Entering numerical data into a computer system with skill and accuracy.
- Explaining City policies and procedures.
- Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Required to take an Oath of Office
- City employees are disaster relief workers in the event of natural disasters or emergency conditions.
- As part of the selection process, all individuals provided with a preliminary offer of employment will be subject to a background investigation, including a criminal history check (primarily completed through the taking of fingerprints). An image of your fingerprints will be captured and sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history, (if any), will be evaluated along with the other information received in connection with your application. Except as otherwise required by law, a criminal conviction will not necessarily disqualify you from the position. The nature of the offense, the date of the offense, the surrounding circumstances, and the relevance of the offense to the position applied for may, however, be considered.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California State Driver s License may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- The City of Pacific Grove does not participate in Social Security. An employee in this part-time classification will contribute up to 7.50% of his/her pay into a 457 deferred compensation plan.
- The duration of the eligibility list is 14 months unless abolished by Human Resources. Eligibility lists established from this recruitment may be used for full-time, part-time and limited term positions.