The Administrative Assistant engages visitors and callers to the YWCA of Nashville & Middle Tennessee; welcoming, directing and providing program resources from the reception area. This role supports all departments administratively, with emphasis on the Family Literacy Center (FLC). The (B)AA will serve as an ambassador to the FLC program by communicating directly with FLC clients as they work toward their high school equivalency. This role will also assist the AVP of Operations and Manager of Operations in maintaining the Woodmont facility.
Relationships and Contacts
Within the organization: This role reports directly to the AVP of Operations but must also maintain a strong working relationship with the Manager of Operations, the Sr. Director of Adult Education & Career Services and all YWCA staff. Initiates and maintains professional working relationships with staff throughout the organization including peers, immediate supervisor, leadership and executive leadership team.
Outside the organization: Position maintains frequent and close working relationships with a variety of general public, clients, vendors, and board members.
- Answer incoming telephone line for YWCA and direct the caller to the appropriate staff or department, provide referral information as needed
- Greet and direct all visitors, students, volunteers and staff in a welcoming and enthusiastic manner
- Maintain reception areas appearance, ensuring that it is welcoming, neat and well organized
- Process incoming mail, including central email account, in accordance with policy and route deliveries to appropriate departments
- Schedule and maintain room reservation and operations calendar requests by YWCA staff
- Arranges tables/chairs in meeting rooms as required for scheduled meetings
- Maintain Employee Updates, Form Updates, Logo updates, as well as Board Member & YWCA Stationary updates in Empower
- Coordinate Admin and Property office supply orders, including reoccurring orders through Amazon; inventory & order copy paper; inventory and order janitorial supplies for Woodmont
- Assists Manager of Operations in the resolution of any facilities-related problems by contacting designated vendors, coordinating vendor site visits and ensuring the problem is resolved.
- Provides support as needed under the direction of the Manager of Operations and the AVP of Operations in updating the YWCA Operations Manual
- Create check requisitions and process payment for vendor invoices and/or purchasing transactions
- Assists in the resolution of any facilities-related problems by contacting designated vendors, coordinating vendor site visits and ensuring the problem is resolved in the absence of the Director of Operations
- Work with the Sr. Manager of Donor Relations to log and code all incoming daily receipts
- Work closely with the Community Engagement Manager to approve donations, help log donations, store donated items and maintain the current Wish List
- Set up meetings and manage Woodmont meeting room calendars
Family Literacy Center (FLC) Assistance
- Schedule testing for students and related meetings with faculty and initiate reminder calls.
- Assist with the set-up of meeting spaces and signage for FLC testing.
- Check-in FLC students and direct them to the proper location
- Provide referral and resource information to FLC students
- Assist with FLC data management, as requested
- Monitor and replenish Intake forms
- Assist with other related clerical duties such as typing, online researching, photocopying, faxing, filing and collating
- Train and direct front desk volunteers ensuring quality customer service for volunteers and public
- Stock all 3 copiers once a week.
- Set recycling containers out at the curb once a month.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent plus one to three years of successful customer service experience working with a variety of people in person and over the phone. Proficiency in working with Microsoft Office Suite is required. Conversational Spanish is preferred but is not required.
Ability to talk, listen, travel between reception/office/meeting areas, reach, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
Ability to move, lift, and/or transport objects up to 50 pounds
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate
Position requires incumbent to have a valid drivers license, vehicle insurance and a clear driving record for the last three years.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization and community
- Exemplary grammar, writing, and editing/proof-reading abilities
- Punctual and dependable
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Ability to work with and respectfully address culturally diverse populations
- Exercises patience and maintains a calm presence in all interactions
- Professional appearance
- Self-starter and able to work with minimum supervision
- Willingness to support the mission of the YWCA and ability to convey its importance both verbally and in writing.
YWCA of Nashville and Middle Tennessee reserve the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the organization desires. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains At-Will. The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.