University of Rochester – Rochester, NY
This position has frequent deadlines and requires the need for close attention to detail; anticipating the need for and procurement of background material; problem solving; working both independently and as a team member: prioritizing immediate and long-term tasks and effectively managing multiple projects simultaneously; preparing routine and non-routine correspondence and reports; and heavily interacting with faculty and staff.
Under minimal direction from the department chair and administrative manager, the administrative assistant will manage. develop and execute to completion numerous human resource projects such as new faculty hires, promotions. reappointments and. as needed. coordinate the visa process for international faculty. In addition, the assistant will provide all aspects of administrative assistance to the department chair and several faculty members.
Faculty/Postdocs/Visiting Scholars/Visiting Professors Recruitment/Appointments, Promotions/Reappointments/Terminations
- Plan and coordinate recruitment process for all faculty candidates including planning and preparation of interview schedules, lunch and dinner meetings. travel/hotel accommodations. vendor payments, candidate reimbursements, and preparation of moving expense reports for successful candidate
- Direct all phases of new faculty appointments from initial offer letter to final package sent to the Dean s office
- Prepare and assist new faculty to meet necessary requirements to begin their University appointment
- Assist in orienting new faculty and visitors, providing guidance or suggestions on accommodations, visas, etc.
- Coordinate faculty promotion process, request collect and organize all supporting documentation from faculty member and referees for inclusion in formal promotion package sent to the Dean s office
- Monitor and track end dates and process all faculty reappointments including collecting and creating necessary supporting documentation for the Chair s signature
- Initiate arrival and departure processes with administrative staff. Plan, coordinate, and make all administrative arrangements for faculty recruitment, interviews, including meeting arrangements, travel and lodging, and meals
- Coordinate with Department Administrator and Accounts Payable to estimate and monitor expenditures for travel and meal reimbursements
- Coordinate unpaid visiting scholars/professor s appointment process as needed
- Coordinate the electronic conversion of faculty files into BOX.
- Initiate visa application process (I-1 IB, J 1 and Fl /OPT) for all international faculty, postdocs and exchange students
- Provide exchange visitor with application material for completion and submission to ow department
- Prepare required deprutment material, submit requests for application fees, respond to requests from ISO, monitor/post labor certification documents. send Fed Ex mailing to exchange visitor once application has been processed and approved
- Prepare visa application paperwork for any family members to arrive with exchange visitor
- Monitor / track visa expiration dates and proceed with same process as above for all visa renewals or extensions, once reappointment is approved by mentor/supervisor
- As needed, work with faculty through the permanent residency application process to create appropriate letters from the Chair
- Upon visa renewal or obtaining permanent residency (EAD), complete the electronic J-9 update process and submit to PERC and appropriate UR/SMD offices
- Work closely with International Services Office (ISO) to solve problems with visas as they relate to job changes. promotion or possible visa status changes
- Monitor/track vacation time for all salaried department staff members and confirm entry on HRMS timesheet
- Approve all department biweekly/hourly payroll
- Monitor biweekly/hourly PTO or vacation time and prepare overtime reports for review by the Administrator
Administrative Assistance to the Chair
- Provide all aspects of administrative support to the Department Chair
College graduation or an equivalent combination of experience and training. 1 year of relevant administrative experience.
- Knowledge of processing faculty recruitment. promotions, reappointments and visas is strongly preferred. Proficiency in MS Office; ability to perform general and complex computer work and learn new programs and software; if needed. willing to train for access to the 1-9 System. HRMS Payroll System, and Promotion and Reappointment Management System FORT.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues throughout the University.
- Strong writing, planning and organizational skills.
- Flexibility. initiative, the ability to solve problems and work independently.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information