The Assistant Controller manages various accounting functions to ensure recording of financial transactions and development, management and distribution of monthly financial reports. The Assistant Controller will be responsible for managing the accounting relationship with Sodexo and Event Network. This position acts on the Controller s behalf on an as-needed basis to ensure the Finance within SWIFT (Sustaining Water Quality, Infrastructure, Finance & Technology) department functions efficiently at Shedd Aquarium.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate commitment to Shedd s vision, mission, and values.
- Supervise assigned staff, by selecting staff, assigning jobs, training staff, coaching, developing, counseling, addressing appraisal and recognition, and recommending staff salary, promotions, and disciplinary actions.
- Approve all invoices for payment and follow up with staff and vendors on problematic invoices.
- Update Accounts Payable procedures as needed.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close.
- Review monthly account analyses and reconciliations.
- Assist Director of Financial Planning & Analysis with financial reports from development of reports to monitoring accuracy of information, and timely distribution to all users.
- Train users in financial software and accounting systems
- Prepare schedules for the annual state and federal 990 and 990T information returns.
- Oversee the preparation of all monthly and annual state and local tax returns including Chicago valet parking tax payment and return, state sales tax, Chicago transaction tax, annual 1099 tax forms and unclaimed property to the state.
- Collaborate with the Controller to ensure an orderly and timely year-end audit.
- Prepare audit schedules and resolve questions with auditors
- Participate in teams and perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor s degree in accounting is required
Experience & Characteristics:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in public/private accounting with at least 2 years in a supervisory role.
- Experience working in a non-profit organization desirable.
- Experience with local, state, and federal taxes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for relationship building and to interact with cross-functional management, including senior leadership, department leaders and external auditors.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality results within strict time frames as well as simultaneously manage several projects.
- Maintains a continuous improvement mindset, searching ways to improve standardization and reduce complexity.
- Effective time management, problem solving and decision-making skills.
We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply. Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to select which pronouns you use (For example she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).