American Licorice – La Porte, IN
The Assistant Controller position is responsible for directing and managing all the domestic general accounting functions. This position requires strong organizational and management skills, meticulous attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines. A strong working knowledge of GAAP, financial accounting, compliance reporting, auditing, tax, internal controls, and cash management is required. Effective communication, a high degree of sensitivity and confidentiality, and the capacity to develop work flow systems that improve the performance of the department are critical to the success of this position. The Assistant Controller will coordinate month-end activities, lead the annual budgeting process, provide timely financial reporting, and evaluate company performance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Accountable for all general accounting functions to include A/R, A/P, Payroll and Fixed Assets
- Maintain a system of internal controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and accurate financial statements
- Provide financial analysis
- Manage cash flow and banking relationships
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Prepare work papers needed for the annual audit
- Prepare footnotes to annual financial statements
- Coordinate preparation of annual tax return with outside CPA firm
- Internalize as many tax functions as possible
- Review ROI on Capital Projects
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules and accounting principles
- Manage pricing and trade spend operations and analytics
- Work with other departments to improve profitability and grow sales.
- Provides strategic financial leadership and support to other departments.
- Ensure compliance with ALC policies and procedures.
- Provide adhoc reporting and projects as needed.
- Proactively seek ways to improve organizational processes and overall team effectiveness through continual training and skill set improvement.
- Manages 2 Accounting Managers
- Responsible for Food Safety as related to the position.
- Bachelors degree in accounting from accredited university
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in accounting
- Five years managerial experience in a senior level accounting position
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting systems
- Experienced in JD Edwards or another Tier 1 ERP system preferred.
- Organized and detail oriented
- Demonstrate a high level of independence, initiative and resourcefulness while managing priorities in a flexible team environment.
- Strong communication skills, ability to present ideas effectively and in a variety of presentation situations.
- Must be innovative, collaborative and highly accurate.
- High degree of integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to motivate a team and produce quality results.