POSITION SUMMARY: With limited direction and a thorough understanding of accounting principles, the Assistant Division Controller assists the Business Unit Finance Manager in managing the accounting workflow, providing accounting direction and analytical support to division management. This includes providing direction and acting as a resource to accounting and general administrative staff to ensure complete, accurate, and timely work.
- Performs complex accounting activities to record, analyze and monitor financial information.
- Responsible for monthly reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts.
- Prepares and reviews required supporting documentation and financial statements to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP) and Company policies and procedures.
- Assists the Business Unit Finance Manager in the management of accounting personnel. Provides direction to the different accounting functional areas (invoice processing, billing, cash receipts, work order processing, credit analysis, receivable collections, month-end close, journal entries, statistical data, and payroll).
- Assists the Business Unit Finance Manager in the management of the accounting workflow across all division departments (sales, customer service, operations, HR, etc.). Ensures there are proper internal controls in place including compliance with Company policies and procedures, Sarbanes Oxley and all other statutory requirements.
- Ensures that all internal and external reporting deadlines are met.
- May provide accounting assistance and support to the corporate and/or area leadership as necessary.
- Assists the Business Unit Finance Manager with pricing and profitability analysis, commercial and municipal bids, and any market development projects.
- Supports the Business Unit Finance Manager during the annual budget and interim forecasting process and assists with analytical review.
- Supports the accounting aspects of capital expenditures, transfers and retirements.
- Assists with periodic financial audits including internal audits, external audits and peer reviews.
- Provides support and responds to information requests from corporate (accounting, tax, treasury, IT, HR, sales, environmental compliance, legal, etc.) as well as area field financial management as required.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP), Sarbanes-Oxley 404, and compliance requirements of other financial statutes.
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative to thoughtfully research and follow up on non-standard situations to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Must be able to effectively coach, mentor and train others to meet performance expectations as described above.
- Must be able to work through others to accomplish goals and objectives.
- The ability to establish processes and procedures to ensure effective department workflow.
- The ability to track, measure and manage performance.
- Have MS Excel skills at an advanced skill level.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to complete projects and assignments with minimal direction.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work in high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently within a team environment.
- Experience with Lawson accounting software.
- MBA and/or Certified Public Accounting (CPA) license.
- Supervisory or lead experience at a progressively responsible level.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance or closely related field of study.
- Minimum of 3 years related accounting or financial experience.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.