Associate Agency Counsel
The Marketing Arm – Dallas, TX
We are what we believe.We believe in the power of creativity:
creativity that makes people think, feel, and then act. Creativity brimming with bravery and vision, heart and humor, imagination and truth.
We believe that brands should stand for more than what they re selling. With culture as our playground and emotion as our craft, we help our clients change minds, win hearts, and create memories.
We believe that good people are the key to creating great work. Our halls are filled with passionate thinkers and makers, seasoned experts and rising stars, who unleash each other s brilliance and celebrate every win as a team.
Together, we bring ideas from the page into the world, ideas that are so audacious, so original, so meaningful that they couldn t come from you or me.
Only we. We Are TMA. Creativity That Matters.Job Overview:
This position will be responsible for drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of commercial vendor contracts, including rental space agreements, partnership agreements, and licenses. The role requires knowledge and experience in commercial transactions, the ability to produce high quality work product in a fast-paced environment, strong business acumen and superior communication skills. In addition, this individual must be a problem solver who can identify substantive legal and business issues and proactively provide solutions to the legal and business leaders. This individual must possess strong analytical and research skills. We are looking for a team player who can collaborate with a team of attorneys internally and maintain the highest standards of confidentiality.Responsibilities:
- Draft, review and negotiate complex commercial vendor contracts in collaboration with internal account teams and external clients and vendors. Examples include Confidentiality Agreements, Statements of Work, Waivers & Releases, Independent Contractor Agreements, Licensing Agreements, and Sponsorship Agreements.
- Critically analyze and make practical, compliant and strategic recommendations to legal and business managers with respect to contractual negotiations.
- Mitigate risk for the Agency and ensure the Agency s compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Research and advise business leaders on various transactional issues (e.g., indemnification, IP and limitations of liability), as well as advertising and marketing law issues (e.g., ownership, content licensing, privacy, user generated content, crowdsourcing, promotions law, waivers & releases).
- Review and analyze marketing materials, including TV commercials, webisodes, digital, packaging, direct mail, social, privacy, email, PR, sweepstakes and contests, promotion rules, sales and training materials.
- Proactively counsel account teams on how to mitigate risk by providing creative solutions that balance legal and business interests.
- Perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and assist account teams in resolving disputes to ensure consistent and cost-effective handling of legal and business matters, including management of outside counsel.
- Research unique legal issues impacting the Agency and identify new statutes and case law applicable to the Agency s activities.
- Build cross-functional relationships with business teams to help drive efficient practices and consistency with internal policies and processes.
- Serve as liaison between Agency and insurance provider, including processing requests for Certificates of Insurance and production insurance.
- Provide counsel on data privacy protocols including drafting updated Privacy Notices, Cookie Policies and Data Processing Agreements, researching and advising on compliance with relevant privacy laws (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, etc.), and developing employee training on data privacy issues.
- Juris Doctor from an American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law school and admitted to at least one state bar.
- 1-3 years-experience practicing law.
- In-house experience preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with intellectual property, media, entertainment, privacy and internet law preferred, but not required.
- Strategic thinker with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be creative and thrive in a fast-paced environment, work independently and prioritize effectively.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal, project management and communication skills with the ability to identify and analyze complex legal or business issues.