North America, USA, Florida, Tampa
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We re proud that we ve been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we re an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues, that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Interconnect provides high-speed, secure connectivity solutions that can perform at extremes of pressure and temperature. Our microwave technology is used to keep military radar systems online while our antenna solutions are installed across aircraft and space applications to enhance communications. Innovative cable solutions increase signaling functionality in autonomous transport systems and augmented reality and surgical robotics are made possible with connectors that increase bandwidth and data rates. Customers rely on Smiths Interconnect for mission-critical connectivity in the harshest environments.
Our blue-chip customers include Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, Huawei, NVIDIA and Biosense Webster.
As one of the five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 1800 people. We have a global presence selling our products in over 50 countries with manufacturing facilities in nine countries and offices across North America, Europe and Asia.
So whether you re an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There s never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
This role will be responsible for or contribute to mechanical design of aerospace/military & High Reliability RF/microwave electronics during product development and improvement initiatives. Understanding of machining processes such that items designed included design-for-manufacturing and design-to-cost; must be able to implement thermal & structural design into products and be able to perform FEA to validate design choices; must have some understanding of, or be able to quickly grasp, inputs from other engineering functions in order to integrate with, or support, functional areas that contribute to product design including PWB design, software, test, and component selection; must be able to produce clear and accurate manufacturing documentation and design review presentations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Application of advanced technical concepts, techniques, and procedures in the development of microwaves products.
- Identifies and documents functional requirements
- Development of mechanical design and specifications, analysis of alternative designs, subassembly and module design, verification testing, and peer review of mechanical designs
- Prepare and provide formal briefings to the staff and project sponsors
- Define and organize daily work into tasks and activities needed to solve the problems being addressed.
- Regularly participate in technical collaboration with technical staff and other interested parties
- Comply with and ensure department compliance with company health, safety and environmental policies
- Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations
- Other duties as required
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a high degree of creative ability, engineering skill, and independent judgment
- Strong Skills in SOLIDWORKS solid modelling environment
- Strong team member skills working in small and large programs as Integrated Product Team (IPT) member
- Knowledge of or skills in Systems Engineering
- Ability to create or contributed to such documents as System Sub-System Requirements Specifications, Acceptance Test Procedures, and other system documents
- Knowledge of or skills in Requirements Management
- Knowledge of or skills in leading critical component selection & testing efforts
- Ability to create engineering documentation of various electronic products including antenna components, circuit cards, sub-assemblies, and test fixtures
- Knowledge of product design to meet thermal, structural, manufacturing, and cost requirements
- Knowledge of composites, castings, liquid cooling and heat exchangers, heat pipes is desired
- Experience in or ability to manage mechanical design, drafting, document control, and other engineering support functions
- High level user of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint proficiency
- Proficiency in several CAD and solid modeling tools including AutoCAD 3D/2D, and SolidWorks, and others
- Extensive experience with shock and vibration testing and fixture design
- Knowledge of thermographic analysis and integrating with FEA
- Knowledge of PWB layouts for thermal & dynamic performance
- Good communication and working relationship skills to interface with product management, sales, customers and manufacturing.
- Ability to solve complex and practical problems.
- Must be able to simultaneously manage several objectives, and reassign priorities.
- Deal with a wide variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to think strategically and develop strategic plan.
- Ability to work in cross-functional multi-cultural teams.
- Individual may be required to sit, stand, walk regularly and occasionally lift 0-30 pounds.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, and legal documents.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Work environment is typically considered in an office environment located on-site, within a Smiths location during normal or extended business hours.
- Must have a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- Must be able to demonstrate a desire for continuing education related to FEA, shock & vibration, six-sigma, and other related topics
- Strong Skills in SOLIDWORKS solid modelling environment
- A minimum of 0-2 years of experience in design, preferred in military, aerospace, or high reliability products.
- Hands on experience in a manufacturing environment is a plus
Travel: Up to 10 percent domestic US travel may be required
Security: U.S. Person required (U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident)
- Driving Results: Motivate to persistently pursue and achieve effective results, which drive the business forward.
- Collaboration & Influencing: Engage, challenge and work effectively with others.
- Support Change: Support change and continuous improvement in own and wider business environment.
- Technical Proficiency: Demonstrates required functional knowledge and skills to achieve the highest level of accomplishment.
- Decision Making: Make effective and timely decisions by sourcing and analyzing critical information.
- Stakeholder Impact: Effectively build relationships both internally and externally, understanding the customers needs.