Under direct supervision of the Nursing Manager, the Associate Robotic Manager is responsible for the coordination of care provided in the Operating Room, and identification of staff educational needs. Demonstrates knowledge of and supports hospital mission, vision, value statements, standards of care, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality statements, corporate compliance plan, standards of behavior, and the code of ethical behavior. This position is responsible for management of specific intraoperative service lines as defined by Nursing Manager. This position is responsible for coordination, planning, oversight and implementing services and technical support for the delivery of surgical care across the continuum in robotic surgery. Strives for superior performance by consistently providing a product or service to leadership and staff that is recognized as ultimately contributing to the patient and family experience. Recognizes and demonstrates understanding of patient and family centered care.
Responsible To: Nursing Manager Operating Room and Director of Surgical Services
Workers Supervised: Operating Room Staff
Inter-Relationships: Clinical Managers, Directors, and other Departments, Anesthesia, and Medical Staff, volunteers, internal and external customers.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in a care delivery care system for surgical services area that reflects the hospital and department philosophy.
- Identifies problems or potential problems in the operating room and facilitates solutions to resolve problems.
- Assists in the development and utilization of policies and procedures as indicated.
- Responsible for overseeing day-to-day department operations of the Operating Room.
- Maintains staffing levels so that a responsible, efficient, and safe level of patient care is provided with continuity.
- Provides support and resource for staff.
- Promotes good working relationships among staff members in surgical service areas, between nursing units, other disciplines and departments.
- Promotes and maintains perioperative area according to regulatory agencies (Joint Commission, MDCH, AORN, ASPAN, AST, etc.) regulations, standards and guidelines.
- Participates in department performance and quality improvement projects including SafetyNet.
- Participates in planning and development of the annual department budget.
- Assists with annual performance appraisals of department staff; conducts first level employee coaching/counseling as directed by Nursing Manager.
- Acts as a liaison between staff, administration and physicians as necessary.
- Participates in the review and development of policies, procedures and protocols.
- Provides for the delivery of quality patient care by providing input into the planning and coordination of staff orientation, staff education, continuing education and in-service programs designed to enhance the knowledge and skill levels of patient care service personnel.
- Demonstrates job related aspects of patient safety to assure a safe environment, safe and effective use of equipment and technology, and decreased risk of potential adverse patient occurrences.
- At a minimum, represents department on one organizational level committee. (ex. Robotics Committee, etc.)
- Responsible for department call coverage as directed by Nursing Manager.
- Work with Information Services to become a Meditech super user to assist doctors and nursing staff.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients serviced on his/her assigned unit.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the units and divisions policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and supports hospital mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality statements, corporate compliance plan, customer service standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
DEPARTMENTAL AND ADDITIONAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organizes and maintains up-to-date equipment and supply inventory for the Robotic Surgical Program.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Inventory Control Coordinator and Supply Chain to ensure appropriate par levels.
- Initiates complete set-up and clinical troubleshooting of robotic system during surgical procedures. Assists surgical staff during surgical procedures, and provides technical expertise/support on operations of robotic surgical equipment.
- Manages and oversees routine preventive maintenance of software and equipment of system.
- Develops, implements and maintains up-to-date robotic surgery resource book for surgical staff.
- Collaborates with Nursing Manager and/or educator to develop robotic surgery education programs and in-services for surgical staff on intraoperative management of the robotic system.
- Educates and orients staff to the robotic surgery program.
- Collaborates with Nursing Manager, medical staff and surgical team in support of strategies and activities to develop and grow the Robotic Surgery Program.
- Attend all meetings pertinent to the Robotic Surgery Program as directed by Nursing Manager and/or Surgical Services Director.
- Organizes and maintains up-to-date equipment and supply inventory for the service lines.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Inventory Control Coordinator and supply chain to ensure appropriate par levels.
- Assists surgical staff during surgical procedures, and provides technical expertise/support on operations of surgical equipment.
- Maintain and update Operating Room policies, procedures and physician preference cards.
- In-service staff on service related new procedures, equipment, supplies, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of accredited surgical technologist program or a graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support and additional certification per unit requirements.
- Three years of experience as a surgical technician or operating room nurse within the operating room.
- Five years of experience in surgical technology or nursing with three of those years including increased level of responsibility.
- Ability to utilize computers including Microsoft Office applications, EMR quality databases, etc.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES/MOTOR SKILLS
- Able to travel independently throughout all Memorial Healthcare facilities.
- Small motor skills required for operating modern computer, office, and telephone equipment as utilized by Memorial Healthcare (MHC).
- Proficiency using modern office computer and telephone equipment as used by Memorial Healthcare.
- Have hand-eye coordination for use of computer.
- Have other nursing skills such as IV starts and medication administration techniques.
ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL ABILITIES
- Proficiency using modern office, computer and telephone equipment as used by Memorial Healthcare.
ESSENTIAL MENTAL ABILITIES
- Ability to adapt and maintain focus in fast paced, quickly changing or stressful situations.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of documents including, but not limited to policies, operating instructions, white papers, regulations, rules and laws.
- Effectively problem solves.
- Organize and prioritize responsibilities.
- Understand, observe and interpret policies and procedures with minimal supervision.
- Function calmly in times of pressure or crisis.
- Follow directions and provide follow through with projects assigned.
- Understanding and knowledge of workflows associated with process in patient care/clinical areas.
ESSENTIAL SENSORY REQUIREMENTS
- Able to see for the purpose of reading information received in formats including but not limited to paper, computer, reports, bulletins, updates, manuals.
- Able to hear for work-related purposes.
- Communicate receptively and expressively in English, both written and spoken, with patients, families, staff, volunteers and other healthcare providers.
- Maintain self-control.
- Accurately hear communication by phone or in person.
- Ability to interact with co-workers, hospital staff, administration, patients, physicians, the public and all internal and external customers in a professional and effective, courteous and tactful manner, at all times, physically, verbally and in all written and electronic communication.
- Required to remain calm when adversity is encountered.
- Open, honest, and tactful communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team member in all activities.
- Positive, cooperative and motivated attitude.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, coordinate multiple duties simultaneously, and be able to independently solve healthcare information management related issues
- Have outstanding customer service skills including service recovery strategies for both internal and external customers.
- Facilitate conflict resolution and provide and accept constructive criticism.
- Follow the chain of command.
- Maintain confidentiality.