Behavioral Health Registered Nurse
Signature Health Inc – Lakewood, OH
Signature Health Inc. is a non-profit healthcare agency whose mission is to put good health within reach of all of our community members through comprehensive mental health, medical, and support services essential for optimizing the well-being of mind and body. Serving patients in Lake, Ashtabula and Cuyahoga counties, we are committed to increasing access to a continuum of care while integrating behavioral and physical health well-being. If you are passionate about making a difference then we want to talk to you. We offer employees a dynamic, collaborative work environment along with a comprehensive range of benefit selections to support your total wellness, including several 100% employer paid benefits.
The Behavioral Health Registered Nurse ensures appropriate services and excellent care is received for patients and their families. The RN evaluates care for specific patient populations using the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Promotes the mission and philosophy of providing quality healthcare and related services to all patients and their families.
- Upholds and ensures compliance with and attention to all agency policies and procedures.
- Ensures appropriate assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of each patient according to the Nursing Process.
- Reviews patient medications, updates medication list, and adds prescription information to the medication list.
- Assists with vital signs, interviewing patient and completing health history, documentation in patient record, preparation of patient for examination and/or procedures, and updating medication profiles.
- May direct, supervise and evaluate the nursing care provided to the patient by Licensed Practical Nurses or Medical Assistants.
- Safe medication administration
- Assists with procedures and specimen collection. Reviews lab and other test results and contacts provider when applicable.
- May review no show charts and determines appropriate follow up.
- Responds to patient telephone messages and places it in the chart. Charts prescription refills in the chart or phones prescription into a pharmacy under the direction of the patients provider and per protocol.
- Exhibits non-judgmental, empathetic and supportive approach when communicating with patients, families, and staff.
- Ensures sensitivity to cultural diversity and maintains age-related competence for the population serviced.
- Consults with providers whenever necessary to ensure most appropriate plan of care is carried out.
- Provides ongoing management, education, and support of patients in all aspects of treatment.
- Completes appropriate documentation in the medical record and complies with state, federal, and departmental policies when sharing/documenting patient care data.
- Assists in coordination of care for other service lines to include primary care, infectious disease, social work, etc.
- Coordinates care with appropriate staff of outside facilities or emergency rooms when necessary.
- Maintains all aspects of HIPPA, promoting patient confidentiality and right to privacy.
- Actively promotes staff and self-development.
- Maintains and updates clinical and professional knowledge and skills through formal and informal educational experiences to ensure best evidence based practice. Complies with state continuing education requirements.
- Assures quality of care by implementing nursing philosophies and standards of care; enforcing adherence to state board of nursing and state nurse practice act requirements and to other governing agency regulations
- Ensures operation of medical and administrative equipment by verifying equipment availability;, completing preventive maintenance requirements;, following manufacturer s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs, ,maintaining equipment inventories, evaluating new equipment and techniques
- Provides education to patients and family regarding diagnosis, medication and health promotion
- Completes appropriate prior authorizations and patient assistance forms
- Maintains supplies inventory by studying usage reports, identifying trends, anticipating needed supplies, approving requisitions, and cost allocations
- Actively participates in all assigned staff meetings and staff development programs
- Maintains clear communication with co-workers, referents or designated liaison person
- Assists in community outreach as needed
- Maintains professional licensure and all requirements as designated by the Ohio Board of Nursing and the requirements of the position.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of the RN practice.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Valid unencumbered RN License in the state of Ohio
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing required
- American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- Three (3) years of recent nursing clinical experience with high degree of clinical expertise
- Possess a working knowledge of specialty
- Thorough knowledge of legal regulations and best practices in healthcare
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with technology and electronic medical records
- Has a knowledge base with a strong understanding of current and emerging healthcare issues in the community.
- Strong knowledge of disease processes and care paths as well as knowledge of normal growth and development of all age groups
- Strong understanding of behavioral health diseases as well as alcohol and chemical dependency.
- Strong assessment skills required.
- Thorough knowledge of legal regulations and best practices in healthcare.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills with ability to critically think through situations.
- Must possess excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication and ability to relate with a diverse population of patients, families, and staff.
- Must possess considerable ingenuity and exceptional judgment
- Ability to appropriately delegate tasks to other team members.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Proficient with technology and electronic medical records
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to handle stressful emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Coordination, ability to organize, and plan are critical for this role.
- Strong customer service orientation which includes attitude, behavior, interpersonal skills, and problem solving that enable an employee to respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in a positive manner
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Limited travel, work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, may have to cover other locations across the organization if needed.
- While hours of operation are generally standard, flexibility to work evenings and extended hours required.
- Requires long periods of sitting, telephone, and computer work.
- Hearing: Adequate to perform job duties in person and over the telephone
- Speaking: Must be able to communicate clearly to patients in person and over the telephone
- Vision: Visual acuity adequate to perform job duties, including reading information from printed sources and computer screens
- Physical effort required. Occasional lifting and carrying items weighing up to 20 pounds, unassisted
- Frequent bending, reaching, and repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting, with some lifting, pushing and pulling exerted regularly throughout a regular work shift.
- Dexterity sufficient to operate a PC and other office equipment.
- On a regular basis must be able to reach with hands and arms.
- Demonstrated ability and skill at developing and maintaining cooperative and productive relationships with persons who have chemical dependency involvement.
- Ability to work independently, organize work efficiently, and prioritize responses to changing client needs within licensed scope of practice.