Position: Benefits/SOAR Specialist
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Benefits Coordinator
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week, some evenings/weekends required
About Jericho Project
Jericho Project is a nationally-acclaimed nonprofit ending homelessness at its roots by enabling homeless individuals and families to attain quality housing, employment and mental and physical health services. The 34-year-old nonprofit serves over 2,500 individuals, including 700 veterans, annually. Jericho has been a key partner in New York Citys initiative to end veterans homelessness, and is leading bold, innovative strategies to do the same for families and young adults.
Our programs touch four cornerstones of a persons life: housing, employment, wellness and family stability. We create a culture of moving on through a foundation of housing and supportive services provided by expert program specialists and case managers.
We have over 400 units of supportive housing including 8 residences in the Bronx and Harlem, as well as scatter-site apartments throughout NYC.
About the Position
Jericho Project is seeking an experienced and driven Benefits/SOAR Specialist for the SSVF Program. The Benefits/SOAR Specialist will be responsible for facilitating the acquisition of benefits including SSI, SSDI, Medicaid, Medicare, SNAP, reduced fare MTA, Access-A-Ride, VA service connected and non-service connected disability, and other benefits as needed. SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) is a model that helps individuals experiencing or at-risk for homelessness who have mental illness and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder or other medical impairments for the purpose of expediting the SSDI/SSI and medical benefits application process.
- Responsible for linkages to mainstream, public, healthcare, and VA benefits including referrals, coordination, advocacy, and follow up.
- Run reports on AWARDS to identify Veterans that may be eligible for additional benefits they are not currently receiving. Review initial screenings to determine potential eligibility, schedules appointments, and provides assistance to clients to complete benefits enrollment.
- Partner and collaborate with Case Management team to identify individuals who need assistance acquiring benefits and ensure applications are completed.
- Coach clients about benefits and income options.
- Assess individuals who have potential eligibility for SSI/SSD.
- Serve as the appointed representative before the Social Security Administration using the SOAR process for filing disability claims. Initiate paperwork with Veterans by filing initial documentation of representation with SSA office.
- File initial applications and/or appeals on behalf of clients using the Social Security Administrations on-line application system - which includes additional interviews with clients and other sources, gathering medical records, writing SOAR Medical Summary Reports, and obtaining other evidence for the claim.
- Facilitate necessary appointments to medical doctors, psychiatrists, or other specialists to obtain evidence to support the disability application. Collaborate with SSVF team and Veteran Peer Mentors to ensure an escort is available to attend disability related and appointments with doctors and other benefits appointments as needed.
- Accompany clients to appointments with the Social Security Administration offices as needed.
- Develop collaborative relationships with SSA and DDS personnel to increase positive outcomes consistent with organizational policies and practices.
- Maintain statistical spreadsheets to report data and outcomes monthly.
- Enter progress notes in AWARDS within 48 hours.
- Bachelors degree in human services or a closely related field.
- Knowledge of NYC resources preferred.
- Commitment to the SOAR process and Housing First approach.
- SOAR Certification preferred; willingness to obtain SOAR certification required.
- Understanding of the SSI/SSDI application process; familiarity with Social Security Administrations Blue Book listings preferred.
- Strong organizational, writing, and computer skills.
- Excellent writing skills required, brief-writing and medical summary-writing experience preferred; cursory knowledge of medical and psychiatric terminology and ability to write using same.
- Mastery of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working in homelessness, substance abuse, mental health and/or trauma settings preferred.
- This position involves multiple priorities and some field work. Candidates must be self-starters with the skills and energy to work with high-need veterans in the community.
- Ability to organize, prioritize tasks quickly and multi-task.
- Strong engagement and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with veterans/military preferred.
- Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Jericho Project offers a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department
Job Code: Benefits SOAR Specialist - SSVF
245 W. 29th Street, Suite 902
New York, NY 10001
No Phone Calls Please.
Jericho Project is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. www.jerichoproject.org
Job Type: Full-time