City of Newton, MA – Newton, MA
The Bid Specialist is responsible for all aspects of initiating an IFB or RFP and seeing it through to release. The Bid Specialist works independently and is responsible for assuring smooth preparation of bids for issue. This is an extremely important function on which all other members of the Department depend. The position calls for good judgment, knowledge of public procurement laws, attention to detail and organization. The Bid Specialist work directly with the CPO establishing schedules for releases and resolving issues relating to bid preparation.
Specific responsibilities include the preparing, assembling, scanning, and maintaining all documents and databases related to the advertising, drafting and issuing of proposed IFB/RFS/RFP City projects. This includes ensuring proper receipt of submitted bids/proposals, accurate and complete bid/proposal files, advertising of public bids, and the preparation of the accepted bid/proposal contract(s). Monitors and updates Purchasing Department and Citys website. Also performs a wide variety of back up tasks when staff is not in the office.
- Works with departments in initiating requests for bids, creates bid folder, retrieves, and prepares documentation files, updates and confirms information, including funding source and verifying funding availability and prepared Departmental schedule for Release Date, Pre-Bid Meeting Date and Bid Opening Date on each project.
- Prepares and places standardized advertisements for bids in State procurement publications, in local, regional newspapers, trade journals and other types of media. Makes note of pre-proposal/pre-bid meetings, conditions, times, and dates of response.
- Determines the appropriate designation of category according to the State laws for goods, services, and public works as well as building construction projects.
- Creates and/or updates project manual document including bidding documents, contract forms, conditions of contract along with scope of work for all projects.
- Prepares project manuals, scopes of work (with departments), contract documents for goods and services bid, DPW or construction bids prior to releasing. Works with architects, verifying the bid documents and drawings are provided correctly and on time.
- Enters each bid on the Citys website and updates when appropriate.
- Updates the Departmental website when appropriate for contract logs and designed forms.
- Formats, types, and distributes documentation for bids including project manual, drawing(s)/plan(s) and bidlist for each project. Distributes and maintains plans and specifications for project managers and contractors alike. Assists in the receipt, logging, opening of sealed bids; contract expediting, and paperwork processing. Verifies that requested supporting documentation has been received and filed. Compiles, updates, and posts the bid summary sheets to the Citys website.
- Ensures communication and collaboration among departments, designers, project managers and bidders.
- Obtains prevailing wage rate schedules from Department of Labor Services, converts the wage schedule to word format so that it may be included in project manual and maintain the wage schedule in the bid file when necessary.
- Processes bid questions either from email or pre-bid meeting and issue addenda, change orders, and contract extensions, confirm appropriate liability insurance is up to date, verify bond information is still in effect and email the contractor(s) the complete information.
- When available, answers departmental telephones and assists internal and external customers with inquiries.
- Answers departmental emails or directs the email to the appropriate departmental staff.
- With the CPO, handles all departmental FOIA and Public Record requests, including the calculation of retrieving the requested data/correspondence for the requestor, retrieval, and delivery of requested documents, and assessing, billing and collecting permissible fees.
- Notifies project managers of expiration dates for multiyear contracts on a monthly basis.
- Functions in a schedule driven environment to assure proper timing of stages of procurements.
- Follows and adheres to department, City and other government rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Attends and participates in staff and other meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Associate degree and three to five years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have a good understand M.G.L. c. 30B, M.G.L. c. 30, 39M, M.G.L. c. 149, the Massachusetts and federal prevailing wage laws and the Public Record Law. Knowledge of clerical practices, office procedures and the operation of office equipment such as personal computers and computer software, data processing and/or word processing. Certification as Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing Official or MCPPO Associate desirable.
- City Retirement (Mandatory)
- Deferred 457 Plans (Optional)
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Insurance
- Metro Credit Union
- Tuition Reimbursement