The Cassa Lab and Sherwood Lab at Brigham & Womens Hospital and Harvard Medical School invite applicants for the position of bioinformatics analyst, working on rare disease gene therapies. The ideal candidate will have strong interest in bioinformatics programming in the context of human genetic disease and CRISPR therapeutics, and will be familiar with common bioinformatics approaches to large-scale genetic data analysis. The role requires strong problem-solving skills as well as the ability to efficiently communicate and interact with collaborators from both human genetics and computational backgrounds. The project is part of a larger effort to integrate scientific and clinical research disciplines to study rare genetic disorders and potential therapeutics, supported by the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), part of the National Institute of Health. Our goal is to seek specific genetic regions that are associated with disease within the genome that might be suitable for repair using gene therapy. The project is highly collaborative, and the successful candidate will work closely with a team of scientists with wide-ranging expertise from Harvard Medical School, the Broad Institute, and Brigham and Womens Hospital. Website:
http://genetics.bwh.harvard.edu/wiki/cassa/ http://sherwoodlab.bwh.harvard.edu/ PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes data using bioinformatics tools related to next generation sequencing.
- Analyzes data using advanced statistical techniques.
- Performs literature searches and helps to prepare presentations and written articles for publication.
- In collaboration with PI or Research Manager, establishes new and modifies existing research techniques, and keeps documentation/protocols up to date.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS: BS or MS in computational biology or related field
Must have work experience in an academic research setting, ideally in computational processing and analysis of experimental datasets.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Basic data processing and data analysis skills in Python, and experience in bash scripting and Oracle Sun Grid Engine cluster computing environment.
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working in a team
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to communicate ideas and results effectively
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. Sedentary, sitting, walking, occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use
EEO Statement Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status. Primary Location: MA-Boston-BWH Longwood Medical Area Work Locations: BWH Longwood Medical Area 75 Francis Street Boston 02115 Job: Business and Systems Analyst Organization: Brigham & Women s Hospital(BWH) Schedule: Full-time Standard Hours: 40 Shift: Day Job Employee Status: Regular Recruiting Department: BWH Genetics Job Posting: May 22, 2019