Responsible for coding all surgical procedures for the OB/Gyn Department. Responsible for reviewing all coding done by providers to ensure that coding is accurate and maximum revenue is recognized. Will assist with training the OB/Gyn providers on any coding issues; Training will include tips for accurate and complete documentation of patient encounters.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is dedicated to:
- Serving the needs of our local and global community
- Providing the highest quality health care to patients and their families
- Expanding the boundaries of medicine through research
- Educating the next generation of health care professional
Every employee plays an important role in providing a positive impact on the organization and the people we serve. Your work will be distinguished by demonstrating respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues, excellence in customer service and job performance.All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and demonstrate behavioral competencies in the following areas:People:
Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respectSelf-Management
: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and developmentOrganization:
A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of your department and the organization.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for accurately coding all surgical procedures for the OB/Gyn Department.
- Must be well versed in Evaluation and Management (E/M) leveling
- Code (CPT and ICD-9) operative procedures, office procedures and all E/M services with 95% accuracy rate.
- Responsible for reviewing all providers coding to ensure accuracy and maximization of revenue.
- Responsible for tracking coding issues by provider and providing necessary training to improve coding.
- Under supervision, responsible for follow-up with providers post coding training sessions.
- Under supervision, responsible for reporting and resolving any and all billing issues discovered during provider audits.
- Utilize information systems to maximize efficiency. This includes using IDX, BICS, LMR, and other database systems to process accurate medical billing and obtain accurate demographic information on patients.
- Responsible for training residents on coding and documentation requirements for evaluation and management services and office procedures.
- Keeps informed of third party regulations in billing/reimbursement and maintains files of coding publications.
- Handles special projects as assigned by the Department Administrator.
- Maintenance of confidentiality is essential for this position.
- Participates in continuing education programs to ensure that coding knowledge remains current.
- Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Provides cross-coverage as needed.
- Other duties, as assigned
- See Addendum B
- High School Diploma required
- 2 years of health care experience required
- CPC, CCS-P or CCS certification is required; CPC-A will be considered
- Experience in health care setting and knowledge of 3rd party payers and billing requirements in OBGYN, preferred
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
- In depth understanding of ICD-9 and CPT coding
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Highly proficient in all communication skills (phone, verbal and written). Ability to handle sensitive information and situations with poise and professionalism.
- Strong organizational, coordination and judgment skills.
- Ability to work independently in a busy open office setting with other employees.
- Ability to prioritize effectively. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, following established protocols, and work within systems
- Advanced computer skills. Ability to use all applicable applications at highest competency level.
- Ability to problem solves and troubleshoots. Ability to analyze a situation and determine best course of action within established guidelines.
- Advanced understanding and use of medical terminology.
- Advanced comprehension of billing and fiscal information.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
- Maintain an environment where individuals value and respect differences in all situations. Stand firm against intolerance and bias to create a welcoming environment and respect all individuals regardless of race, gender identity, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, religion, socio-economic status, or national origin.
- Work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, roles, backgrounds and/or styles
- Contribute to a positive team environment where differences are respected, supported and are free from stereotyping and offensive comments
- Be professional when approached about behaviors that might be perceived as disrespectful
Open CommunicationDefinition: The ability to effectively articulate and receive information in a clear, concise and timely manner.
- Practice active listening skills
- Foster and maintain an environment that respects open dialogue, differences of opinion, as well as diverse communication styles
- Ensure that information is shared in a clear, accurate, and timely manner using the appropriate communication method for your audience
- Express oneself clearly and professionally in your verbal, non-verbal, written, and electronic communication
Building Collaborative RelationshipsDefinition: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build relationships between ones area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve organizational goals.
- Take initiative to support others and build productive relationships that will lead to a cohesive workplace
- Interact effectively with other team members, departments and customers to accomplish organizational goals
Organizational AwarenessDefinition: Understand how ones own work affects the organization as a whole and demonstrate a commitment to the organizational goals.
- Support and respect BWHs mission, vision, values and history
- Understand and recognize how your individual role and department impacts the organization
- Self-Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Embracing ChangeDefinition: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness and goals.
- Support and positively participate in organizational and/or job specific changes
- Initiate appropriate action when change is needed
- Be flexible and open to new ideas
- Adapt to shifting priorities
Learning OrientedDefinition: Predisposed to pursue learning opportunities even outside own comfort zone, one stays abreast of new tools and methods, rising to add value and build challenge in current assignments.
- Demonstrate openness to learning from successes and failures
- Recognize and participate in learning opportunities
- Seek and share best practices
Professionalism Definition: Practice respect for self and others; and adhere to BWH standards, policies, and procedures at all times.
- Adhere to BWHs Code of Conduct, Guide to Ethical Standards, policies and procedures
- Align behavior with the organizational mission and values
- Practice respect in accordance to the BWH standards
- Demonstrate responsibility, reliability, and trustworthiness
Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performanceQuality and Safety FocusDefinition: Responsible for meeting standards of performance or outcomes in a safe manner while avoiding risks.
- Align job performance with quality and safety standards (e.g. The Joint Commission, BWH and department specific standards)
- Adhere to established policies and procedures
- Take action to prevent errors
- Identify and report adverse events, errors and incidents
Efficiency and Performance ImprovementDefinition: Systematic approach to improve performance by eliminating waste, non-value added activities and variability in processes.
- Participate in process and performance improvement by identifying, analyzing, and enhancing existing processes to achieve better outcomes
- Maximize available resources to achieve performance measures; reduce waste, rework, and work-arounds consistent with ones role
Problem SolvingDefinition: Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of the problem before taking action; and if necessary develop alternative courses of action.
- Recognize actual and potential problems and take appropriate action towards a solution
- Offer assistance, as needed, when a potential problem situation is observed
- Use good judgment to keep manager informed of problems or issues, following department practice
Service ExcellenceDefinition: Focusing ones efforts towards anticipating, meeting and exceeding the expressed and unexpressed needs or expectations of internal and external customers.
- Apply service standards consistently to present a positive image of BWH to colleagues, health providers, patients, families, and visitors:
- Engage with positive greetings and active listening
- Empathize by expressing understanding
- Educate throughout the information exchange
- Enlist thoughts and ideas from others
Information GatheringDefinition: Identify and seek information needed to clarify a situation. Ask questions to discover the facts.
- Identify specific information needed to clarify a situation or to make a decision
- Probe skillfully to get at the facts
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Administrative office suite
- Designated desk/ work station
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.Primary Location:
MA-Needham-BWH NeedhamWork Locations:
BWH Needham 254 Second Avenue Needham 02492Job:
Brigham & Women s Hospital(BWH)Schedule:
Day JobEmployee Status:
BWH Obstetrics GynecologyJob Posting:
Jun 11, 2019