A licensed professional nurse directly under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Nursing Services. The Charge Nurse is responsible for staff assignment and provides overall supervision of resident care activities.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or an approved LVN program.
- Current nursing licensure in the state in which practicing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Possess, as a minimum, training in a skilled nursing care facility, hospital, or other related medical facility.
- Possess leadership ability and the willingness to work with and supervise professional and non-
- Knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures.
- Ability to Read, write and speak the English language.
- Possess mental and physical health.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: CLINICAL
- Complete all required record keeping forms/charts upon the residents admission, discharge, transfer, etc. File in the residents chart and/or forward to the appropriate department.
- Receive verbal orders from attending/alternate physician and transcribe the physicians order sheet.
- Initiate resident Plans of Care on admission.
- Chart TPRs, blood pressures and blood glucose as required.
- Order prescribed medications, supplies and equipment as established by the facilitys policies and
- Review physicians orders and transfer/preadmission information for completeness.
- Prepare/administer medications as ordered by the physician.
- Answer telephone inquiries as outlined in the facilitys established policies and procedures.
- Chart licensed nurses notes in an informative and d3scriptive manner that reflects the care provided as
well as the residents response to the care.
- Forward new diet orders, and/or diet changes to the dietary department.
- Transcribe physicians orders to residents charts, Medication Administration Records, Treatment
Administration Records and RNA sheets to assure that they remain current.
- Verify the identification of the resident before administering medication or treatment.
- Requisition and arrange for diagnostic and therapeutic services as ordered by the physician.
- Assure that narcotic records are current at all times
- Admit, transfer and discharge resident. Assist in arranging transportation and packing as necessary.
- Check resident charts for specific treatment, medication orders and schedules daily.
CHARGE NURSE Contd.
Job Descriptions Manual
Job Descriptions Manual
- Administer professional services such as: catheterization, tube feeding, suction, applying and changing dressings/bandages, packs, colostomy and drainage bags, taking blood, sputum, and urine specimens, care of the dead/dying, etc., as established by the facilitys policies and procedures.
- Make rounds with the physician and assist with examination and treatment.
- Review medication sheet for completeness of information, accuracy in the transcription of physician
orders and adherence to stop order policies.
- Assist in carrying out restorative and rehabilitative programs to include self-help/care.
- Perform routine charting as required.
- Report all discrepancies of physician order, diet or charting to the RN Supervisor or Assistant Director
- Check food in residents rooms that is brought in by the residents family or visitors in accordance with
the facilitys established policies and procedures.
- Initiate restraint assessment on all new admissions.
- Monitor and document behavior of residents on psychoactive medications
- Record Intake and Output, and complete monthly evaluation as per the facilitys policy and procedure.
- Following completion of an approved competency check with an RN an LVN may reinsert a G-Tube on
an established track only.
- Meet with unit personnel, on a regular basis, to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and/or the improvement of services.
- Review and evaluate assigned personnel and make written evaluations to the RN Supervisor or Assistant Director of Nurses.
- Coordinate Nursing service with other departments and nursing units.
- Notify the attending physician, RN Supervisor and Director of Nurses when a resident is discharged
without approval. Assure that appropriate documentation is made in accordance with the facilitys
established policies and procedures.
- Assure that a stock of medications, medical supplies, equipment, etc., is maintained at all times.
Requisition equipment and supply needs as required.
- Initiate investigation of accidents and unusual occurrences and make the necessary written report to the
Director of Nurses as established in the facilitys policies and procedures.
- Notify the residents attending/alternate physician, as well as the residents legal guardian/representative,
when the resident has a significant change of condition or becomes critically ill or injured, as outlined
within facilitys established policies.
- Work with the facilitys consultants as necessary and implement recommended changes as directed by the
RN Supervisor of the Director of Nurses.
- Investigate complaints and grievances and make necessary oral/written reports to the RN Supervisor or
Director of Nurses.
- In cases of death, notify the funeral home and ensure that the body is properly prepared/cleaned for
- Evaluate emergencies and determine emergency measures to be used, including the use of chemical or
mechanical restraints. Notify the RN Supervisor and physician and record and follow orders.
- Assure that the unit area is maintained in a clean and safe manner for resident comfort and convenience,
by ensuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained to perform such duties/services.
- Assist in standardizing the methods in which work will be accomplished.
Job Descriptions Manual
- Make residents rounds to review physical, medical an emotional status and to implement required nursing interventions.
- Notify physician and residents responsible party of any resident accidents/incidents. Fill out and complete Accident/Incident Report forms on all such occurrences and chart such information in the residents medical records as outlined in the facilitys established policies and procedures
- Assure that nursing personnel follow established nursing procedures.
- Remind attending physician(s) to review treatment plans, record and sign physicians orders, progress
notes, etc., during physician visits.
- Give/receive nursing reports upon reporting in and ending shift duty hours.
- Check all residents daily to assure that prescribed treatment is being properly administered by nursing
personnel/assistants and to evaluate their physical and emotional status. Record findings in the
- Assist in orientation of newly assigned personnel as well as supervise and instruct other nursing
- Orient new residents/family members as necessary.
- Assure that nursing personnel are providing adequate nursing car in accordance with established nursing
- Assure that all personnel follow established infection control and aseptic techniques when isolation
procedures become necessary.
- Report all hazardous conditions and equipment to the RN Supervisor and maintenance department
- Keep the RN Supervisor informed about the status of residents, staff and related matters.
- Assume the authority, responsibility and accountability of directing your unit/shift.
- Follow required coaching and progressive disciplinary procedures.
- Others as may become necessary and appropriate or as may be directed by the Director of Nurses or
- Presents professional image to consumers through dress, behavior and speech.
- Adheres to Company standards for resolving consumer concerns.
- Ensures that all consumer/resident rights are protected.