Equity Capital Markets The Equity Capital Markets (ECM) team advise, structure and execute a range of equity offerings for major corporations and governments, easing clients access to the public markets for equity and equity-linked capital and non-public markets for equity derivatives. As a team, in addition to providing advice to clients on raising straight equity financing, we also focus on issuing hybrid securities such as convertible bonds and structuring complex equity derivative transactions. This could involve anything from selling company stock to the public to designing an equity derivative solution to allow the monetisation of a major corporate s holding in another company. The ECM team primarily provides advice on how best to structure deals and then works with the client to execute the transaction.
The Role The successful candidate will play a vital and accountable role in all aspects of the transaction process and pursuit of strategic business ideas. This individual is recognized by clients as a key member of the team and will take the lead on the marketing and execution of mandates and will have direct responsibility and interaction with both senior bankers internally as well as clients. S/he will leverage and coordinate J.P. Morgans resources on behalf of the client. In this capacity, one must understand industry fundamentals, anticipate client needs, and leverage J.P. Morgans and the teams resources to anticipate new business opportunities. The balance between leveraging internal technical/product expertise and external relationship building is the essence of the position.
The Associate/VPs responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Participate in the origination and execution of equity transactions, including initial public offerings, follow-on equity offerings and convertibles.
- Target potential equity issuers and new equity capital raising by corporate clients; perform buy-side investor, equity market conditions and offering size analyses, and prepare equity roadshow layouts.
- Compile pitch presentations for numerous companies on topics that include common stock issuance, equity-linked alternatives, carve-outs/spin-offs, capital management, dividend strategy and share repurchases.
- Coordinate efforts with deal team members across the investment bank, including the capital markets, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions departments.
- Participate in prospectus drafting and due diligence, preparation of roadshow schedules and presentations, investor targeting and investor feedback, and development of equity pricing materials.
- Supervise and train analysts.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- At least five years of Investment Banking experience (or 2 years post-MBA investment banking experience)
- Experience with quantitative and financial modeling for structuring of equity transactions using balance sheet, income statement, public comparables and transaction comparables analyses; and buy-side investor analysis and targeting for new equity capital raising efforts by corporate clients is strongly preferred but not required.
- Bachelor s Degree or the equivalent in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Math or related field.
- Very strong financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills.
- Ability to comfortably interact with business clients and management.
- Excellent technology skills with strong Excel (macros, pivot tables, look-ups and filtering) and PowerPoint skills. S/he will be able to quickly learn new software applications.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and proactive. Energetic and decisive, with high level of integrity.
- S/he will be able to communicate concepts and ideas both verbally and via documentation, to and be able to defend their validity.
- Provide examples of a team mentality. A relationship builder, who can establish trust and credibility across J.P. Morgan.
The ideal candidate is a creative, innovative team player. It is also important that this person display maturity, good judgment and an ability to work with professionals at all levels inside J.P. Morgan. Strong modeling, analytical, technical problem solving, planning and organizational skills are a must.
The Associate/VP must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively in presentations; expressing complex financial strategies in an organized and articulate manner.
This individual must be dedicated to the Firm s goals and s/he will have uncompromising personal integrity.