At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
Position Summary The Clinical Educator I ensures that Sterile Processing technicians, internal and external to STERIS IMS, are properly trained and operating within the guidelines set forth by various industry standards and regulations including, but not limited to IAHCSMM, CBSPD, AORN, The Joint Commission, FDA, CDC, OSHA, AAMI and those of IMS and its customer facilities. Performs various other training duties related to the STERIS IMS and facility employees. Travel up to 100% required. Duties Responsible for supporting small interim engagements.
- Effectively works in collaboration with Clinical Educator II, Senior Clinical Educator, and/or department manager in training assignments, based on needs of the department.
- Responsible for hands-on employee training and continuous assessments of skills and knowledge retention utilizing the Circle of Skills assessment tool in areas including decontamination, instrument tray assembly, instrument tray storage, sterilization processes and standard precautions to ensure patient safety and to minimize department pain points related to quality of performance.
- Conducts orientation and training program of new employees with no central sterile processing experience including a focus on the following:
o SPD certification information review
o Surgical Instruments (name and function)
o Standard Operating Procedures
- Conducts five week orientation and training program of new employees with central sterile processing experience.
- Develops and maintains an education plan based on the prioritization of training needs in the account and for the development of the technicians on an individual basis. Documents all successes and barriers electronically using the IMS portal.
- Maintains real time documentation of education data and adjusts the education plan or communicates with management to ensure progress is maintained and barriers are addressed.
- Communicate with the SPD manager and documents communication at least weekly.
- Regularly (daily) presents training highlights and overviews/refreshers in staff department huddles/shift change meetings.
- Provides re-education training and communication for performance issues found in the OR and instrumentation tray audits.
- Conducts initial employee assessments and trains to deficiencies noted.
- Conducts initial and ongoing training based on STERIS IMS standard operating procedures initially in a group setting and then one-on-one as needed.
- Conducts additional training needs of STERIS IMS and/or facility staff and keeps STERIS IMS and/or facility management informed of training progress.
Duties - cont d
- Adjust schedule to work with all employees on all shifts to ensure training needs are met and supported. Ability to work pre-arranged weekend, night, and evening hours.
- Develops and maintains a training schedule for continuing education and training for each facility based on needs and with flexibility to adjust to better address pain points of the department.
- Conducts audits of staff training records to ensure compliance with governing guidelines.
- Ensures resources are available to meet requirements of staff certification.
- Maintains documentation relating to safety, effectiveness, and cost in planning, delivering, and managing training and development activities.
- Promotes customer service and the mission of STERIS IMS.
- Promotes quality assurance and performance improvement related to employee technical skills.
- Conducts in-service at facility site as needed.
- Models behavior that is appropriate for affiliation with each facility and STERIS IMS
Education Degree High School Diploma or GED Required Experience
- High School Diploma or GED Required. Bachelors Degree Preferred
- 3+ Years SPD experience
- 3+ years training experience
- Sterile Processing Certification Required
- Must maintain valid drivers license, vehicle insurance and be available to operate a vehicle as needed to meet travel requirements.
STERIS is a $2B+, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) organization with approximately 12,000 associates worldwide and operates in more than 100 countries.
If you need assistance completing the application process, please call 1 (440) 392.7047. This contact information is for accommodation inquiries only and cannot be used to check application status.
STERIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and the use of affirmative action programs to ensure that persons are recruited, hired, trained, transferred and promoted in all job groups regardless of race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law. We are not only committed to this policy by our status as a federal government contractor, but also we are strongly bound by the principle of equal employment opportunity.
The full affirmative action program, absent the data metrics required by 60-741.44(k), shall be available to all employees and applicants for employment for inspection upon request. The program may be obtained at your locations HR Office during normal business hours.