Summarize the nature and level of work performed. Please note that this section should be written in a paragraph format and provide a broad description of the role and its purpose as well as the reporting structure. Provide support to clinical research projects by assisting the Principal Investigator in data collection, survey implementation, and study-related clinical and administrative tasks for clinical research projects. Work effectively with patients, especially during the consenting process, and ensure all subjects meet study criteria. Communicate study requirements and details in a clear manner to patients, families and staff. Accurately update forms, data and study materials and maintain patient and study files. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: In order of importance, list essential areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation. This section should be completed as a bulleted list and explain how the role is performed.
- Recruit patients for clinical trials by identifying potential subjects who may meet trial protocols, conducting screening of patients and verifying subject inclusion/exclusion criteria.
- Work directly with patients to effectively communicate a basic explanation of the study protocol and related information and serve as an informational resource for patients and their families.
- Conduct components of the study to include subject interviews and administration and scoring of questionnaires. May obtain informed consent. Create and maintain patient results and provide data to investigator. May perform procedures such as phlebotomy.
- Document patient visits and procedures in electronic and paper systems.
- Complete various tasks to assist the investigator in obtaining and managing data, including collect, organize and maintain patient data from medical records, physicians and other sources. Prepare data for analysis and data entry. Accurately input and use data. Assist the investigator with formal data audits. May participate in the creation of questionnaires and other study forms.
- Utilize software programs to generate graphs and reports; provide data and information to investigator and may assist with interpretation and analysis.
- Verify the accuracy of information submitted on study forms; investigate and resolve discrepancies. Update study forms per protocol.
- Maintain all study, patient and administrative records, files and databases in an organized and accessible manner.
- Conduct library searches for information related to the clinical research and trials.
- Assist investigator in supporting study requirements by updating study forms per protocol, maintaining and updating regulatory binders and providing information for and assistance with submissions to study regulators.
- Write consent forms.
- Ensure all study and administrative tasks are performed in a timely and quality manner.
- Provide feedback to the investigator and may make recommendations regarding study protocols.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: This section should be a bulleted list of minimum requirements explaining the skills (what the individual is trained for) and competencies (measurable as defined by the job) necessary to perform the job.
- Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
- Ability to demonstrate respect and professionalism for subjects rights and individual needs
- Computer literacy and working knowledge of data management program
- Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
- Able to learn and apply clinical skills such as phlebotomy
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Analytical skills and ability to resolve technical problems
- Careful attention to details
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to follow directions
- Good communication skills
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS: Specify minimum credentials and clearly indicate if required or preferred. Licenses:Required:
EDUCATION: Check boxes that best describe the minimum and preferred education requirements. Minimum Required: High school diploma, GED or equivalent Certificate: Please specify Some college or Associates Degree Bachelors Degree Masters Degree Doctoral Degree None required Preferred: High school diploma, GED or equivalent Certificate: Please specify Some college or Associates Degree Bachelors Degree Masters Degree Doctoral Degree
Field of Study/Additional Specialized Training: Not Applicable Preferred: Healthcare or science Equivalent Experience please document if educational requirements can be met through equivalent experience: Not Applicable
EXPERIENCE: Indicate the required and preferred (optional) amount and type of experience. Not Applicable Preferred: Some relevant course/project work.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (authority to hire, promote, or terminate): Indicate supervisory scope and list the number of employees supervised. Not Applicable Direct: Indirect: Professional Staff Supported: Non-Employees: FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Indicate financial scope information, e.g. size of budget, volume, revenue, etc. Not Applicable Prudent use of hospital resources.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Describe the conditions in which the work is performed. Use this section to detail any physical requirements for the position (lifting, carrying, etc). Use this section to also detail any environmental conditions associated with the position (outdoor weather requirements, hazardous materials, etc). Normal office conditions as well as sitting and computer use. Walking to patient rooms and operating rooms. Observation of study equipment functionality in operating room setting.
The information contained in this document is intended to describe the general contents and requirements of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or skills of individuals so classified. Job Posting (optional): Use this section to indicate preferred text when posting this job on the careers page. This section should not be a copy of all that is written above but rather a condensed version highlighting the important points.
- Bachelors degree required.
- New graduates with some relevant course/project work or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Clinical Research Coordinator I position outlined above.
- Those with a minimum of 1-2 years of directly related work experience will be considered for a Clinical Research Coordinator II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
- A Clinical Research Coordinator I does not have any supervisory responsibility.
- A Clinical Research Coordinator II may assist with the training and orientation of new staff members.
EEO Statement Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Primary Location: MA-Boston-MGH Main Campus Work Locations: MGH Main Campus 55 Fruit Street Boston 02114 Job: Clinical Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH) Schedule: Full-time Standard Hours: 40 Shift: Day Job Employee Status: Regular Recruiting Department: MGH Surgical Oncology Research Job Posting: Jun 17, 2019