- 4+ years of relevant work experience in a data center or other critical environment or 8+ years of Technical (Military/Trade School) training and/or experience with relevant data center facilities equipment
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years old
Amazon is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual to join our Data Center Engineering Operations Team. This committed group works to maintain the critical physical infrastructure that supports Amazon Web Services. Specifically, this team works to ensure that the data center s MEP operates at 100% availability while maintaining first-class customer service to the teams and groups within the data centers.
The Data Center Chief Engineer (CE) is responsible for ensuring that all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data center is operating at peak efficiency. This involves both planned preventative maintenance of equipment, daily corrective work, and emergency response to emergent issues. The CE serves as an expert technical resource reporting to a sites Data Center Facility Manager and interacting with onsite Engineering Operations Technicians (EOT) and any third party vendors. They are expected to be a singular focal point for all facility operations within a given data center and to support Amazon within its owned and operated data centers. Data center equipment that supports mission-critical servers must maintain better than 99.999% uptime.
Also expected from the CE is the ability to management small-to-medium impacting projects from conception to completion. These projects involve large amounts of independent work as well as collaboration with external support groups including engineering, automation, processing, and finance in both local and global settings. The CE will be tasked with creating and delivering on key milestones, obtaining and tracking quotes for all necessary costs, and documenting project results for future implementation at other facilities. The goals of such projects are for the CE to drive innovation and resiliency while reducing operational costs in the facilities.
The CE directs, trains and supports EOTs in their role of providing hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operations. Implementation and execution of site/equipment-specific training exercises is also expected. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switchgear, UPSs, PDUs, AHUs, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatment systems, pumps, motors, VFDs, and building automation systems.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment in a data center.
- Operate independently with limited direct management
- Act as an escalation point for all facilities-related issues within the data center, escalating to the Data Center Facility Manager as needed
- Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures
- Troubleshoot and report of facility and data sever-level events within internal SLA
- Create and deploy new standard practices for Engineering Operations Technicians, Chief Engineers, and vendor support teams
- Provide training and guidance to Engineering Operations Technicians
- Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to by vendor and Amazon staff
- Utilize internal CMMS to manage building workflows
- Communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
- Walk job sites in uneven terrain
- Work at heights and from ladders
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 49 pounds; and participate in group lifts for 50 pounds or more
- Coordinate body movements when using tools or equipment
- Reach and stretch to position equipment and fixtures while maintaining balance
- Bend or twist the body into unusual positions while working
- Perform physical tasks all day without becoming overly tired
- Use hands to manipulate small wires and objects
- Push or pull heavy objects into position
- Work in a noisy environment
- Work at depths, such as under raised floors
- Associates or Bachelors in applicable engineering field or mechanical or electrical trades
- Operating engineering licenses such as DC II, DC III, or equivalent
- Stationary Engineering or Building Engineering License
- Electrical or mechanical Journeyman License
- CFC license
- NFPA 70E
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Solid leadership and organizational skills
- Proven self-starter
- Ability to prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age