The Development Database Administrator (Dev DBA) works to support the application development lifecycle. As programs and systems are being built, the Dev DBA will lend assistance and support, which includes building and maintaining the proper database structures required by applications. Responsibilities include database development, management, administration, optimization, and performance tuning for all Vantage West Credit Union (VWCU) application and infrastructure databases. Secondary responsibilities include managing, developing and sustaining all data interfaces on existing application databases and data warehouses.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Math or related degree, or equivalent experience
- Four (4) years experience working as a Database Administrator
Additional Preferred Education & Experience:
- Experience working with Symitar Episys
- Experience working with financial institutions, or finance industry
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Advanced knowledge of relational databases and data warehousing
- Advanced knowledge and experience in data modeling
- Advanced knowledge and experience in creating stored procedures, building queries and reports (SQL, T-SQL, PL/SQL, SSRS, SSAS, SSIS, Tableau etc)
- Advanced knowledge of ETL concepts, strategies and massive parallel processing techniques
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to convey information to non-technical colleagues in a concise and clear way
- Strong knowledge of good coding practices and standards, including code refactoring and service oriented architecture
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Ability to interact comfortably with a wide range of stakeholders, from end-user staff through C level
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with a wide variety of people
- Detail oriented with strong time management skills
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Technical Learning
- Problem Solving
- Comfort Around Higher Management
- Strategic Agility
- Written Communications
The job requires the employee to sit a majority of the time. Lifting of up to 25 lbs may be required periodically. Some local and national travel (for training or conferences) may be necessary
Must comply with all aspects of the Bank Secrecy Act.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES AND TASKS:
Dev DBA Responsibilities:
- Database Architecture - Collaborates with stakeholders to architect database solutions to meet complex requirements and business rules. Continuously identifies areas for improvement in deployments, capacity planning, monitoring, self-healing and automation. Builds effective, usable and supportable database environments required for the development and maintenance of applications.
- Database Development Creates and maintains database objects (stored procedures, triggers, UDFs, batch jobs, etc.) to support development efforts in all environments (DEV, QA, UAT) throughout the system development life-cycle. Performs database tuning. Tests data generation; builds, edits and loads appropriate test data to support end-to-end system and application validation.
- Data Modeling - Performs data modeling and normalization; ensure data integrity. Interviews end users and in-turn creates logical data models and E/R diagrams. Translates logical data models into physical data models.
- Extract/Transform/Load Evaluates, designs, develops, tests, implements and maintains ETL strategies as needed.
- Best Practices - Establishes and enforces standards, best practices, policies and procedures pertaining to database management and architecture, security, compliance/regulatory requirements. Evaluates emerging DB technologies to recognize opportunities and trends. Conducts code reviews and recommends solutions for application and code performance tuning. Maintains source control of objects throughout development life-cycle.
- Acts as backup for other DBA. Provides on-call support for database deemed critical.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employer