Diesel Technician Mechanic
Diezeltech – Herndon, VA
Location: Herndon, VA
Job Status: Full Time
A great company is looking for a motivated individual to maintain diesel equipment operation by
completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements; correcting vehicle deficiencies; making
adjustments and alignments; keeping records.
Major Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Determines vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests; identifying worn and damaged parts.
- Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; controlling corrosion; completing winterization procedures.
- Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
- Verifies vehicle performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards.
- Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
- Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
- Enhances maintenance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 4 years practical experience with tractor trailer maintenance required
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Vocational/Technical or certification preferred
- Specialized training and experience in the diagnosis/troubleshooting of major components (engines, transmissions, differentials), OEM training courses, ASE Certification, and 608/609 certifications preferred
- Proficiency in the use of all tools of trade (including welding equipment, diagnostic equipment, hand and power tools) required
- A valid drivers license and clean driving record is required
- Current CDL license with air brake certification preferred, willingness to acquire CDL if you do not have one.
- Basic computer skills preferred for data entry into maintenance systems.
- Ability to work in non-climate controlled conditions required
- Willingness to submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.