WTNH News 8 is looking for a creative writer who understands the urgency of a 24-7 newsroom environment. The successful candidate will be able to multitask while writing clear, concise, and conversational copy for wtnh.com.
The ideal candidate welcomes the opportunity to drop everything for breaking news. Were looking for a someone who can bring fresh, innovative and creative ideas into our newsroom that help our digital platforms stand out.
Candidates must be engaged and passionate about social media and be able to embrace it as part of their daily routine. Above all, were a winning attitude. Experience in a newsroom environment is preferred.
The Digital/Online Content Producer writes stories for WTNH digital properties, edits and uploads video, and produces compelling, unique content.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Produce digital content for all of News 8 s digital platforms, including but not limited to websites, apps, email newsletters, and social media.
- Excel in breaking news situations, accurately reporting and updating information as it happens online.
- Work closely with assignment editors, broadcast producers, and newsroom managers to coordinate three-screen synergy (TV, digital, mobile) around news coverage.
- Identify compelling, unique stories of interest and be a bold voice at editorial meetings to make sure these stories are heard on digital and on air.
- Use various metrics to identify digital content priority and placement decisions to grow digital audiences.
- Copy edit content written by others newsroom staff.
- Teach, coach and mentor talent and other digital contributors on best practices for writing and producing content on their own social platforms.
- Ability to hit deadlines is a must. While we work as a team, web producers must be able to handle all facets of content production by themselves as if they were working alone.
- Strong working knowledge and experience with an online CMS (Knowledge of Lakana is a plus).
- Strong grasp of posting to various social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube.
- Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
- Write in a smart, conversational, and shareable manner with a creative format and style.
- Basic Photoshop and video editing skills
- Basic HTML knowledge
- Ability to shoot video for digital platforms a plus
Bachelors degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree preferred. Three (3) years minimum experience as a digital news producer or digital journalist preferred. Experience in writing, producing and editing content on a desktop editing system.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements:
High stress office environment with deadline pressures. Position will require you to prioritize tasks and multitask daily, and well as manage multiple projects simultaneously with frequent change in direction and priority. Schedule may vary based on breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements.
You must be willing and able to work outside of normal business hours, including holidays, early mornings, nights, overnights, and weekends.
The Online Content Producer must be able to stand, sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Online Content Producer must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
WTNH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. A satisfactory pre-employment background check will be required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
To be considered for this position you must apply online via the Nexstar Media Group Career Portal: Please remember to attach your resume and a link to your demo reel, if applicable.
Nexstar Careers - First Time users must create an Account
Search Location US-CT New Haven
www.wtnh.com > ABOUT US > JOB