Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of Registration and International Student Services (DRISS) is responsible for the overall supervision, planning and administration of the Universitys registration functions. The DRISS maintains the highest standard of accuracy, security and privacy of student records, and keeps abreast of regulations and best practices in compliance with federal law, state law, and accreditation agencies.
The DRISS supervises one registrar who performs most of the day-to-day functions. The DRISS works collaboratively with academic and administrative departments to organize and manage all activities related to student records and registration and institutional reporting of student information.
The DRISS leads the processes for graduation and certification of Doctorate and Master degrees, enrollment and degree verification, production of official transcripts, and diplomas for commencement ceremonies. The DRISS counsels and advises faculty and staff on academic matters and interprets and enforces policies and regulations of the University related to registration. In addition, the DRISS is responsible for International Student Services to ensure compliance with immigration laws and regulations concerning the sponsorship of non-US students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the Universitys Senior Registrar. Provide leadership and oversight to all aspects of the registration process.
- In collaboration with the Office of Institutional Research, the DRISS provides information and actionable data to shape institutional discussions, trends, policies, processes, security and strategic practices.
- Oversee and maintain the integrity of all academic, enrollment and graduation records of University students and, as the custodian and steward of these records, abide by University, state and federal requirements, policies and legislation.
- Maintain current knowledge of the various systems that interface with student data and ensure adherence to FERPA/HIPPA compliance and other regulations that impact the systems and services provided by the Registrars Office (i.e., Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Solomon Act, and VA requirements).
- Direct operational initiatives including curriculum management, data accuracy and integrity, operational efficiency, management of the academic catalog, registration, data management, management of academic records, enrollment verification, grade processing, University degree requirements, degree audit and certification, transcript evaluation and processing.
- Serve the institution through thoughtful visionary leadership and contributions that exemplify best practices, facilitate change processes and support student success.
- Lead and participate in collaborative decision making, continuous quality improvement, and the implementation and use of complex information and computer systems, software applications, data infrastructures and technologies.
- Serve as the office signatory agent for Veterans Administration certification, degree conferral and other official notarized functions.
- In collaboration with the Office of Institutional Research, provide data reports to support official reporting to IPEDS, National Student Clearinghouse and other regulatory and accreditation agencies and organizations.
- Serve as a liaison and facilitator of collaboration between registration, academic affairs and student affairs on all issues related to student academic policy, procedures and progression, as well as curriculum and program requirements.
- Influence and maintain involvement with strategic institutional planning.
- Oversee the MBKU Course Catalog and ensure accurate and timely provision of information to faculty, staff, students and the public regarding academic policy, course information and student learning outcomes.
- Serve on the University commencement ceremony committee and participate in University events.
- Serve as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO). Oversee nonimmigrant Visa-related advisement and interpretation of regulations, internship advisement, intercultural adjustment, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), and Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- Collaborate with the Vice President for Student Affairs to ensure integrated internal and external communications and student supports.
- Provide education to Admissions Officers on best practices when admitting non-US students.
- Recommend to department management changes to student services policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance and direction to Faculty, Peer Advisors and support staff on complex and sensitive international student services issues.
The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to coordinate and execute multiple concurrent independent tasks.
- Commitment to solution-focused decision making and teamwork/collaboration.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal and written communication skills to establish a collaborative working relationship with a wide variety of students, staff and administrators.
- Excellent customer service skills, with the ability to handle difficult situations and individuals effectively using tact, diplomacy and engagement.
- Excellent ability to work as a member of a collaborative, multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the fluctuation of caseload and maintain appropriate confidential counseling records.
- The ability and willingness to work evenings and/or weekends to accommodate service needs related to job responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The minimum amount of education and experience that an individual needs in order to successfully perform the essential duties of the position is:
- Bachelor s degree required. Masters degree preferred.
- Five years of relevant experience.
- Background in working with graduate, particularly doctoral, programs.
- Knowledge of federal regulations governing student records and AACRAO best practices.
- Experience with a relational database, especially a student information system. Jenzabar EX preferred.
- Experience as a Designated School Official with SEVIS.
- Knowledge of immigration regulations and benefits pertinent to F-1 Student Visa-holders and other nonimmigrant visa categories.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to convey complex information clearly and diplomatically.
- Comfort with managing detailed, fluctuating data while keeping pace with multiple appeals for attention.
- Capacity to use independent judgment and to perform successfully without close supervision.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel within a PC environment.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Located in Fullerton, CA, Marshall B. Ketchum University is an independent, private, non-profit, accredited educational institution. MBKU is home to the Southern California College of Optometry, the School of Physician Assistant Studies and College of Pharmacy. Named after the founder of the optometric institution in 1904, the change to the University structure addresses the growing demand for highly skilled health care professionals.
The University s Southern California College of Optometry confers a Doctor of Optometry (OD) and a Master of Science in Vision Science (MS) degree. MBKU s School of Physician Assistant Studies under the College of Health Sciences awards a Master of Medical Sciences (MMS) degree. MBKU s College of Pharmacy welcomed its first class in the fall of 2016 and will award a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree in the Spring of 2020. MBKU owns and operates two premier eye and vision care centers: the University Eye Center at Ketchum Health and the University Eye Center at Los Angeles.
MBKU provides an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and life insurance, free vision exams, short and long term disability, generous paid time off plans, a university-sponsored retirement plan with a 9% contribution and an on-site fitness center located on the Fullerton campus. See our website under Employmentfor more details regarding benefits of working for MBKU (www.ketchum.edu).
Position is open until filled.
MBKU is an equal opportunity employer; requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Job Type: Full-time
- Immigration regulations pertaining to international students: 1 year (Preferred)
- Student Registration in a graduate program: 1 year (Preferred)
- Jenzabar EX database: 1 year (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)