Education Division Research Consultant-1900000495
Description Education Division Research Consultant
Background: The Inter-American development Bank works to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through financial and technical support for countries working to reduce poverty and inequality, we help improve health and education, and advance infrastructure. Our aim is to achieve development in a sustainable, climate-friendly way. With a history dating back to 1959, today we are the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean. We provide loans, grants, and technical assistance; and we conduct extensive research. We maintain a strong commitment to achieving measurable results and the highest standards of increased integrity, transparency, and accountability.
The Social Sector (SCL) is a multidisciplinary team convinced that investing in people is the way to improve lives and overcome the development challenges in Latin America and the Caribbean. Jointly with the countries in the region, the Social Sector formulates public policy solutions to reduce poverty and improve the delivery of education, work, social protection, and health services. The objective is to advance a more productive region, with equal opportunities for men and women, and greater inclusion of the most vulnerable groups.
The team: The Education Division supports education systems of Latin America and the Caribbean countries to reach five dimensions that will contribute to making them successful in promoting effective teaching and learning among all children and youth. The IDB s private sector window also finances projects to expand educational opportunities for low income students. We support Latin American and Caribbean countries to ensure that:
- High expectations guide education services
- Students entering the system are ready to learn
- All students have access to effective teachers
- All schools have adequate resources and are able to use them for learning
- All graduates have the necessary skills to succeed in the labor market and contribute to society
The Education Division is constantly consolidating its ongoing research agenda on teacher quality. Moreover, the Education Division is currently implementing several interventions to support systems in the region to incorporate AI and behavioral strategies in centralized assignment systems for teachers and students, in order to improve allocation outcomes. This consultancy has the objective to support this work, specifically in the following activities: (i) research efforts related to teacher, student, and resource allocation, (ii) the development of back-end technology (database administration and matching algorithms based on assignment mechanisms) for students and teachers, (iii) the development of front-end technology, that is, the client-side interface where teachers and families view available choices and apply for vacancies, and (iv) the design, implementation, and evaluation of AI and behavioral science strategies to improve allocation outcomes.
What youll do:
- Work on the research agenda of the Division, specifically on studies related to student and teacher allocation systems and resource allocation.
- Support the design, implementation, and evaluation of AI and behavioral strategies in centralized assignment systems for teachers.
- Support the design, implementation, and evaluation of AI and behavioral strategies in centralized assignment systems for students.
What youll need:
Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents. Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group. Education: Masters degree in Economics, Public Policy, Public Administration, Education or in a similar field. PhD preferred. Experience: Five (5) years of relevant professional experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience Languages: Fluent in English and Spanish, Portuguese desirable.
Core and Technical Competencies:
- Strong research background and strong analytical abilities, as demonstrated by academic and other professional achievements. The candidate should have the ability to understand and use theoretical and econometric tools of economic analysis.
- Extensive experience manipulating datasets using STATA or other equivalent software, and experience in evaluation techniques and methodologies.
- Knowledge of other program languages like Python, R and ArcGIS is desirable
- Algorithms and data structure skills desirable
- Ability to write academic papers, working independently and as part of a team
- Skills for planning and structuring meetings with authorities.
Type of contract: Consultant Length of contract: 12 months, with the possibility of being renewed. Location: IDB Headquarters Responsible person: Principal Education Economist (SCL/EDU) Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDBs 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
We encourage women, afro-descendants, people of indigenous origins, and persons with disabilities to apply.
About us: At the IDB, were committed to improving lives. Since 1959, weve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Jun 25, 2019, 4:00:00 AM Closing Date: Jul 10, 2019, 3:59:00 AM
Contact Name - External: Jobs Online Contact Email - External: [email protected]