OFF TALENT MGMT LABR RELATIONS
REPORTS TO: Deputy Superintendent (Primary) / Superintendent (Secondary) PRIMARY FUNCTION:
In collaboration with the Office of Talent Management labor division, the Executive Director of Internal Investigations and Security will investigate allegations of employee misconduct through a process of fair and complete fact-finding. Assist OTM with implementing a system wherein all students, staff, and applicants can be ensured an equal opportunity in all programs, activities, and employment offered by the district. In support of the Office of Child Advocacy report and recommendations, responsibilities will also include training management and any related data management, state, and federal laws/policies relating to equal access and student safeguards in relationship to: Title VI, VII, XI, Student Abuse/Neglect, Harassment, Sexual Harassment and/or Abuse, Student Restraint/Seclusion.
The Executive Director of Internal Investigations and Security will oversee the Director of Security and Labor staff in the coordination, supervision and evaluation of all security issues pertaining to Hartford Public Schools sites and administrative offices. Support district-wide safety with a commitment to student social emotional learning. Work in conjunction with the Hartford Police Department and any other appropriate security/safety agencies.
- Develop and present training programs for staff and students on topics related to student safe guards, EEOC, harassment, Title VI, VII, and XI.
- Execute and/or monitor programs related to student safe guards, equal employment and educational opportunities to determine compliance with district goals.
- Support district management regarding harassment, employee misconduct, discrimination, and or Title IX cases.
- Manages data related to investigations, outcomes, and corrective action plans.
- Develop and maintain web-based materials and resources to support evaluation process.
- Design efficient databases and spreadsheets to compile, clean, transform, validate and organize data from multiple sources to present or draw conclusions.
- Use statistical knowledge and skills to support internal and external research efforts
- Collaborate with OTM/LR leaders to assist in the analysis of data to predict future trends, identify and solve challenges
- Create design prototypes, including graphical renderings for reporting
- Evaluates quality of services and makes recommendations for new software, equipment, upgrades for improved access and accountability.
- Oversee the Director of Security in the supervision, management and evaluation of the Hartford Public Schools security force.
- Ensure partnerships are developed and maintained to support school culture and climate goals in conjunction with the Hartford Police Department and/or any other appropriate security/safety agency.
- Develop measures and systems of monitoring effective communication channels in order to ensure that the Superintendent and appropriate constituents are informed of all emergencies.
- Develop a plan of accountability to ensure principals/department heads are addressing security needs, as well as, conducting appropriate fire and shut down/evacuation drills.
- Oversee the Director of Security in the development and implementation of a comprehensive security system plan for the district.
- Co-supervisory responsibility with the Executive Director of Human Resources of the Labor Manager in the work of issuing counseling and discipline, handling of grievances, negotiations, arbitrations and labor hearings,
- Participate in the development & implementation of continuous process improvement.
- Oversee the process of reporting incidents through data tracking systems.
- Investigate allegations of employee misconduct in a timely manner.
- Develop good relations with outside agencies that might share responsibility for investigating employee misconduct.
- Analyze the information gathered as a result of each investigation and reach conclusions concerning the credibility of the individuals interviewed.
- Testify, as necessary, in any proceeding in which the Hartford Public Schools is a party that occurs as a result of an investigation.
- Establish a working knowledge of Hartford Public Schools policies, student handbook, and basic staff and student right/laws, i.e. DCF, sexual harassment, etc.
- Provide training/orientation sessions for new and existing security personnel with a focus on de-escalation strategies and crisis interventions.
- Oversee the implementation of professional learning to support building capacity of security staff.
- Review yearly evaluations of security employees to ensure appropriate performance management of security staff.
- Attend Board meetings, expulsion hearings, and other meetings as required.
- Performs other related activities as directed by the Deputy Superintendent and Superintendent.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS/ABILITIES OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice, Human Resources/Management, Business or Management Information Systems, advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years experience in management/supervision with at least 3 years experience working in educational or business HR setting including significant experience working with:
- Public school district data bases (required)
- Data acquisition hardware and software
- Minimum of ten (10) years experience in the field of security, or safety management required. School security management experience, preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of networks, servers, IT structures, and web-based software (Proficient in Excel is essential).
- Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented; able to work under pressure, follow through and meet deadlines
- Documented experience working with culturally diverse populations.
- Preparation of high quality correspondence, manuals, reports and documentation
- Ability to meet deadlines, takes initiative, and make sound decisions under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Advance knowledge in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Access
- Must have excellent written, verbal and report-writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective communication with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to provide staff development.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and act positively with students, parents, and administration and outside officials.
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: None
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 12-Month work year. Salary is commensurate with experience and education
UNION AFFILIATION: Non-Bargaining Group Q
NOTE: The above description covers the principle duties and responsibilities of the position. The description should not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all duties or as a contract. In all cases, these relationships, functions, and their applications are subject to change by the Superintendent of Schools.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: The screening process for highly qualified candidates is immediate and ongoing. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered, all internal and external applicants must fully complete a Hartford Public Schools online application. All candidates must upload requested documents, including: cover letter, current resume, and three (3) letters of professional reference that were prepared within the last three years. To apply, please visit http://www.applitrack.com/hartfordschools/onlineapp and follow the appropriate link.
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D