Foreign Language Interpreter
Northside Hospital – Atlanta, GA
Provides consecutive and/or simultaneous language interpretation for limited English proficient (LEP) patients and families whose primary language is not English, as it relates to medical care. Provides sight-translation of relevant materials to enhance patients and families comprehension of medical procedures, treatment, discharge instructions, patient and family education, and follow-up care within the interpretation encounter. Is also responsible for the written translation of hospital documents such as medical record forms and patient education materials from English into target language as assigned by supervisor. Position Requirements
1. High School Diploma
2. Two (2) years experience in medical setting, customer service, advocacy or related field.
3. Certificate from a Medical Interpretation Program provided by a College, University, ALTA Language Services, Bridging the Gap or Language Line Academy confirming successful completion of forty (40) to sixty (60) hours of Medical Interpreter Training OR Certification as a Certified Medical Interpreter (CMI) through the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI).
4. Successful completion of the Interpreter Skills Test (IST) with passing score as administered by Northside Hospital to verify demonstration of the advanced skills necessary for Medical Interpretation.
5. Excellent communication, organizational, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
6. General computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs.
1. Higher level education degree (Bachelors, Masters, etc.) from an accredited College or University.
2. Demonstrated Proficiency in a third language as validated through successful completion of the Interpreter Skills Test (IST) as described above.
3. Graduate of an accredited Foreign Language Program.
License/Certification Requirements: Yes
Work Hours: Varies
Weekend Requirements: No
On-Call Requirements: No