The Guest Engagement Assistant supports daily operations of the department as related to learner communication and recruitment. As the initial learner contact for the department s volunteer program, they handle participant onboarding questions and challenges, while collaborating with co-workers to provide solutions. In addition, this position tracks learners throughout their time with Guest Engagement to provide accurate statistics that inform engagement strategies. They must be personable with a variety of audiences and represent Shedd s brand both on- and off-site. They will co-plan and attend both on-site and off-site recruitment opportunities to cultivate and maintain relationships. They must have excellent time management skills to handle multiple projects and good attention to detail
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Recruitment and Onboarding
- Assist in strategic recruitment for program participation
- Plan and participate in on- and off-site recruitment opportunities to engage potential volunteers, teens and pre-professionals in Shedd opportunities
- Schedule interviews and appropriate orientations and trainings for learners together with the Volunteer Services department
- Assist with onboarding of program participants
- Maintain relationships with internal and external collaborative partners
- Cultivate and maintain individual relationships with program participants to ensure high levels of engagement with the aquarium
- Communications and Logistics
- Send email communications to program participants as needed; can include scheduling, RSVPs and invites and general communications
- Track, monitor and report participant data, including up-to-date contact information and statistics
- Handle incoming phone and email inquiries regarding programs and respond or forward to the appropriate party as needed
- Assist in program logistics as needed
- Update and maintain public communications, including Guest Engagement communication board, website and intranet
- As needed, facilitate daily interpretive shift meetings which may include post assignments and departmental and institutional updates
- Professional Development and Conduct
- Demonstrate leadership in accordance with Shedd s mission and values
- Demonstrate adaptability to be used in all work contexts, including meetings, team projects, recruiting and communicating with learners
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional and personal growth by initiating dialogue with colleagues, attending trainings, engaging in self-directed learning and focusing on professional development goals
- Participate in relevant trainings as it relates to expected skill development
- Participate in aquarium-wide and interdepartmental teams, projects or meetings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor s degree preferred in education, communications, museum studies, or a related field
- Ability to work irregular hours including evening, weekends and holidays
- Experience with recruitment, relationship building, and retention
- Minimum 1 year of experience in an administrative support role
- Excellent organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bilingual preferred
- Experience working with families and adult learners including teens and volunteers
We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply. Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to select which pronouns you use (For example she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).