This is a Part Time, non-exempt level position. Guest Relations Ambassadors are instrumental in facilitating seamless and joyful visits for all guests. These individuals are posted throughout the operation with the goal of removing barriers to guests looking nature in the eye. Examples include: selling tickets, greeting guests, scanning tickets, seating for presentations and shows, and wayfinding. Depending on need, some posts are located outside of the building. All team members act as role models for outstanding customer-service standards within the department and the aquarium.
This role requires a minimum of 3 days a week availability, with at least one of those days being a weekend day (Saturday or Sunday).
Duties & Responsibilties
- Demonstrate commitment to Shedd s vision, mission and values.
- The following are examples of duties performed by Guest Relations team members:
- Accurately and efficiently guide guests throughout the building.
- Provide accurate and concise information about Shedd tickets and experiences.
- Scan tickets.
- Assist guests with automated kiosks.
- Ability to learn and effectively utilize a computerized point of sale system:
- Successfully complete sales training and sell tickets to guests.
- Accurately bank-in and bank-out their cash till at the start and close of their shifts.
- Accurately count back change to guests.
- 4-D Theatre operations.
- Other service posts as assigned as business need arises.
- Shedd Guest Service Expectations:
- Embrace and actively practice The Shedd Way Guest Charter on a daily basis:
- The WAY to look: positive impressions, smile, uniform in order, etc.
- Go out of your WAY: Greet all guests proactively. Hello! , How can I help you? Show, don t tell.
- The WAY we care: Share Shedd stories with guests, find your passion, see something, say something.
- Make it a personal policy that no guest is left with an unanswered question or concern.
- Attend and actively participate in daily shift meetings.
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Retail, attraction, or customer-service experience in a high-volume environment.
- Cash handling and Point of Sale experience.
- Public speaking background a plus.
- Fluency in multiple languages is also desirable.
- Ambassadors must be outgoing, dynamic and enthusiastic.
- Experience and success in multi-tasking.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Friendly and personable demeanor towards all; embracing the multicultural differences of our staff and guests is a must.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays (varied hours).
- May be required to stand or sit for long hours.
- May be required to work outdoors.
Mandatory Training Dates:
- Orientation: A full day orientation session (9am-5pm) will occur on Tuesday, July 23rd.
- Shadow Shifts: The first week of shifts are scheduled as shadows shifts. It is mandatory that you attend these scheduled shifts (which will be based on your provided availability) so you can be properly trained in a timely fashion.
We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply. Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to select which pronouns you use (For example she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).