RWDSU LOCAL 200
Supervises and coordinates the day-to-day operations of the coders throughout the Cook County Health & Hospitals System (CCHHS) Health Information Management Department. Refines staff to understand the impact of the causational relationship between medical terminology, coding and timeliness of reimbursement.
This position is exempt from Career Service under the CCHHS Personnel Rules
- Utilizes the electronic health record, health information systems and healthcare applications
- Reviews and updates policies and procedures that are aligned and comply with hospital and department policies and procedures and regulatory agencies
- Monitors daily department activities to ensure compliance with federal, state, and other regulatory agency requirements
- Assists coders with coding questions
- Maintains a good working relationship with medical staff and other hospital departments to achieve optimal service delivery
- Assists the System Manager of Coding with quality, service and budgetary initiatives
- Supervises staff and creates a positive work environment that encourages the exchange of ideas and knowledge
- Monitors workflow by effectively managing and organizing staff to meet turnaround times and project deadlines
- Cultivates a shared vision for the department that is consistent with the organizations vision and strategic initiatives by communicating and implementing department plans
- Ensures staff competencies are reached by providing orientation and training
- Hires qualified candidates, conducts employee performance reviews, counsels and provides disciplinary action as needed
- Establishes and monitors staffing levels according to department plan and makes adjustments
- Provides cross training to optimize daily operations and to meet the needs of the organization
- Provides ongoing training and education for staff development
- Participates in hospital-wide activities promoting health information and privacy and security education
- Assists in collecting, reporting and analyzing performance improvement and other data as needed along with consulting with the Site Manager to enhance department performance
- Monitors and analyzes performance and productivity to assure standards and goals are met
- Assures the safety and security of the Health Information Management Department
- Conducts regularly scheduled section meetings
- Maintains confidentiality of PHI (Protected Health Information)
- Attends departmental and Hospital required in-service and training in-service programs as requested or required; ensures the attendance of all staff
- Meets the standard for compliance of Continuing Education (CE) as defined by AHIMA or other licensing/certification agency, if applicable
- Communicates with physicians, clinical staff, patients, visitors, Managers and Supervisors throughout CCHHS
- May be required to work flexible hours, including weekends
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Associates degree or equivalent from college or technical school
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Three (3) years of experience as a Coding Supervisor/Manager in a healthcare environment
- Experienced coder using CPT-4, ICD-10-CM, and E&M with one or more of the following: HCPCS, Revenue Cycle, and PCS, DRG, etc.
- Experience working with electronic records systems and encoders
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends
- Five (5) years of experience as a Coding Supervisor/Manager in a healthcare environment
- Experience working in a union environment
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service.
To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, Are you a Military Veteran?
- Attach a copy of their DD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22 (Notice of Separation at time of application filing. Please note: If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date. Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11) or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11). Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
A copy of a valid State ID Card or Drivers License which identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for Veteran Preference
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- You may also qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
- 100% Tuition Reimbursement for nursing-related programs
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link: http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVERS LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW
MUST MEET REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION
- Degrees awarded outside the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
- Please note all offers of Employment are contingent upon the following conditions: satisfactory professional & employment references, healthcare and criminal background checks, appropriate licensure/certifications and the successful completion of a physical and pre-employment drug screen.
- CCHHS is strictly prohibited from conditioning, basing or knowingly prejudicing or affecting anyterm or aspect of County employment or hiring upon or because of any political reason or factor.
COOK COUNTY HEALTH AND HOSPITALS SYSTEM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER