DIRECT CARE POSITION
As a caregiver, you provide a variety of non-medical services that allow seniors to remain in their homes. These services generally fall under two categories:
- Personal Care
This job does not require hands on services but does include the following help services:
- Provide socialization, conversation and emotional reassurance to the client.
- Encourage and participate in reading, appropriate games, and other activities to promote well-being and stimulate the mind and the sprit.
Encourage, monitor and assist with meal preparation and fluids.
Encourage mild exercise program that is safe and within clients ability.
Provide timely medication reminders and observe the client for compliance in taking medications. Medications must be pre-dosed by the client or clients representative or a licensed professional. Any irregularities noted in the pre-dosed medications should be reported immediately by the caregiver to the supervisor and recorded in the client binder.
- Supervise the safety of client while he/she is toileting, bathing and dressing.
- Remind and encourage daily exercise and /or exercises prescribed by a licensed physical therapist that the client can perform without the therapist being present. Passive range of motion may not be performed at this care level.
- Assist with ambulation when the client is able to assist with the process. Caregivers may assist clients with the use of adaptive equipment for ambulation such as walkers. Canes or wheelchairs once the client has been trained on the use of the equipment and released from the care of the prescribing health care professional.
- Assist with nail care, limited to soaking and cleaning nails. Caregivers may not trim or clip nails. Nail care should not be provided to clients with a medical condition that might involve circulatory problems or loss of sensation.
- Assist with home management as authorized by the client or their legal representative or company supervisor; as example, monitor food expirations, ordering/shopping for groceries/home supplies, and monitor home repair as needed.
Perform light housekeeping duties.
Pet care, limited to feeding and enabling pet to exit the house safely under the supervision of client. Water plants as needed.
Provide incidental shopping and errands.
Assist with mail and supervise deliveries to the client.
Report any concerns to supervisor (Quality Assurance Coordinator or Management).
PERSONAL CARE DUTIES
- All duties listed above for Companion/Homemaker can also be performed under this category.
- Hands-on assistance with Activates of Daily Living (ADL) such as: grooming, bathing, dressing and toileting.
- Assist with shaving, only with the use of an electric shaver.
- Assist with feeding client providing the client can still independently swallow and be positioned upright.
- Assist with general skin care when skin is unbroken and when any chronic skin problems are not active. Skin care should be preventive rather than therapeutic in nature. Caregivers may apply non-medicated lotions and solutions that do not require a physicians prescription.
- Assist with pivot transfers (bed to chair, chair to bed, chair to commode, and wheel-chair to car) only when the client has sufficient balance and strength to reliably stand, pivot and assist with the transfer. Adaptive and safety equipment may be used in transfers, provided the client and caregiver are fully trained in the use of equipment and can direct the transfer. Caregivers can assist with the use of gait belts and transfer devices with the proper training and demonstrated competency.
- Empty or change external urinary and ostomy bags.
- Assist with client directed non-invasive (non-inserted) care only when there is no need for skilled skin care or for observation or reporting to a nurse.
- Assist client with blood sugar checks; that is limited to opening containers and handling equipment.
- Caregiver cannot perform procedures.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $11.00 to $15.00 /hour
- Caregiving: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly