INSPECTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
Category: Full - Time
Salary: Hourly: $ 14.333 - Mid $ 17.915
Published: June 18, 2019
Closing: Until Filled
To perform a variety of technical and administrative services for the Inspection Services Division. Coordinate inspection and code enforcement related functions by assisting personnel and the public as needed. Assist in activities, including plan review, permit issuance, inspections and insurance maintenance, documentation/ processing of weed violations, zoning violations, dangerous buildings and other public nuisance violations.
This class is distinguished from the general administrative classes by the more complex, responsible duties. This individual is responsible for handling multiple division tasks and inspection services problems. They are expected to work more independently and assume higher levels of responsibility while still being able to work well with other personnel.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct general supervision from the Inspection Services Coordinator, Division Manager or other professional staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receive and record, into Permit Tracking Log, all incoming building permits, construction plans, zoning permit and alarm applications, industrial waste permit applications, site plan, Planning & Zoning and Zoning Board of Adjustment submittals. Preview plans and applications for completeness and applicable fees. Forward permit applications, plans and receipts to appropriate individual(s) for proper handling.
- Receive and record into the Complaint tracking Log;, all incoming citizen concerns and field-derived violations discovered by inspectors. Set up and maintain files to ensure violations are abated in an efficient manner. Maintain accurate files for review and processing through the court system and/or Building and Standards Commissions.
- Perform some plan review for basic roofing, foundation repair and zoning permits. Utilize computer programs as well as zoning, sector, aerial and Harris County Appraisal District maps as needed.
- Review, approve and issue plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits.
- Provide the public with technical information relating to basic zoning, inspections and ordinance questions.
- Serve as primary contact with the public, evaluate calls and visitors and refer inquiries as appropriate for the Inspection Services Division as well as the Planning and Development Department in general.
- Receive and record address, culvert and utility verification requests. Forward to the responsible division/individual.
- Intake citizen assistance reports (telephone and walk-in) regarding code enforcement violations. Record and forward to appropriate individual(s) for proper handling.
- Perform data entry of approved permits and ensure valid insurance coverage. Notify customer when permits are ready for issuance.
- Assist Inspection services Coordinator, as needed, in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual construction/ permit activity and code enforcement activity reports. Research, compile and analyze data for special projects and various reports.
- Assist Inspection Services Coordinator, as needed in the preparation of code enforcement documentation, for mowing lists, bid job proposals and dangerous buildings.
- Recommend organization or procedural changes affecting administrative and technical activities.
- Maintain and/or initiate annual license files to ensure renewal of swimming pool licenses, salvage yard license, wrecker license, and mobile home park license.
- Assist in resolving complaints, disputes or problems relating to the handling of permit issuance and zoning information.
- Monitor 24-hour inspection line. Pull requested inspections from citizens and contractors twice a day. Write inspection job tickets and coordinate with inspection personnel for completion.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
For indefinite periods of time - mobility within an office; exposure to constant noise; writing; walking; typing; stooping; standing; sorting; squatting; sitting; seeing; pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds; filing; reading; decision making; reaching above shoulder level; using both hands for simple and firm grasping; clarity of hearing; communicating clearly and effectively, in person, and by telephone; fine finger manipulation; operation of a personal computer.
- City codes, including zoning regulations.
- English usage, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Current office methods, procedures, equipment and business letter writing.
- Organization, procedures, and operating details of the City department to which assigned.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Work cooperatively with other departments, City officials, and outside agencies.
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies, and rules.
- Operate a personal computer, calculator, fax machine, and copier.
- Type at a speed necessary for adequate job performance.
- Perform job tasks with minimal supervision.
- Plan and organize work to meet deadlines on a timely basis.
- Compile and maintain complex and extensive records and prepare reports.
- Analyze situations carefully and adopt effective courses of action.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Three years of increasingly responsible administrative and/or technical experience with a minimum of one year of that experience in a high-volume public service role; and a High School Diploma or GED.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid Texas Driver s License. ICC Permit Technician preferred.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and actions may change at any time with or without notice.