INTAKE SPECIALIST - ED PATIENT ACCESS
UNC Health Care – Chapel Hill, NC
This position may involve support of various hospitals and health care systems within the UNC Health Care System, but will be employed by Rex Hospital, Inc. (this includes, but is not limited to, for purposes of payroll, health benefits, retirement options, and applicable policies). Employees of an entity managed by UNC Health Care are external candidates and will be employed by Rex Hospital, Inc. if selected for the role.
This individual is responsible for coordinating the admission (registration) and scheduling of patient and works closely with the clinical staff to assure appropriate protocols are followed for EMTALA compliance.
- Serve as the first point of contact for UNCH patients by offering a positive patient experience.
- Ensure and verify key ADT information is current and accurate to ensure patient safety, charging, coding, insurance processing, and billing accuracy.
- Completes bedside registration on patients in the Emergency Department.
- Meets the departmental target for registration timeliness.
- Completes and documents governmental, regulatory, financial, and contractual forms in accordance to procedure.
- Meets the departmental target for point of service collections to include deposits, service estimates, co-pays and/or prior balances.
- Ensures document is scanned/saved to the correct location and legible.
- Actively participates in departmental QA by utilizing system work queues, making a personal effort to reduce individual errors and making corrections.
- Utilizes system work queues as a daily part of the registration process to minimize errors.
- Effectively precepts new co-workers as assigned.
- Attends 75% of staff meetings.
- Ensures customer service by consistently demonstrating a caring, positive, professional, and helpful disposition with all customer relations.
- Answering phones, communicating effectively with patients and internal customers.
- Utilization of de-escalation techniques for dealing with nervous or upset patients and their family.
- Maintains an environment of safety and privacy for patients, self and others.
- Influences co-worker satisfaction by being self-motivated, a positive communicator, team player, and a willing and approachable resource to other co-workers.
Hospital & Emergency Department Registration Experience, EPIC Admission, Discharge, Transfer (ADT) experience is a plus but not required.