Litigation/Appellate Legal Assistant
Beck Redden LLP – Houston, TX
Beck Redden LLP seeks a legal assistant or paralegal with strong appellate experience. The ideal candidate will possess a strong knowledge of state, federal and appellate court rules and filing procedures. In addition, he/she should also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, have strong attention to detail and be able to work effectively under pressure. Beck Redden legal assistants support attorneys in their litigation practices including, but not limited to:
- Filing/e-filing in appellate courts.
- Organizing and maintaining Outlook calendars and keep assigned attorneys calendars current in the firm docketing software.
- Maintaining attorney contacts list.
- Making travel arrangements as requested.
- Creating appellate briefs, table of contents, table of authorities, checking compliance, preparing appendix and creating bookmarks.
- Creating and editing documents in Adobe Pro and MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Using a document management system to store, retrieve and edit documents.
- Serving as the point of contact for service by email on cases and ensuring that served documents are properly calendared and stored.
- Serving case documents on opposing counsel, and sending to client representatives as requested by assigned attorneys.
- Reviewing and respond/distribute mail and emails.
- Reviewing and submitting new case materials for conflict search.
- Maintaining an updated list of all active cases for your assigned attorneys.
- Assisting paralegal(s) and attorney(s) in preparation for depositions, mediations, hearings, and trial.
- Answering attorney telephone line as requested by the attorney, and maintaining a record of calls as requested by the attorney.
- Retrieving and storing attorney reading files as requested by assigned attorneys.
- Preparing outgoing mail/overnight delivery packages.
- Assisting with contacting vendors, courts, clients and outside counsel as requested relating to depositions, hearings, and other parts of case preparation.
- Submitting monthly attorney time, expense reports and invoices to accounting.
- Reviewing attorney pre-bills as requested by the billing attorney.
- Opening and closing files and storing documents, case information, and emails relating to assigned attorney matters based on current Firm Protocols.
- Updating and assist assigned attorneys in maintaining CLE hours and association/organization memberships.
- Reports to the Assigned Partner(s) and the Executive Director.
A minimum of three years of experience as a litigation assistant with appellate experience. Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel required. Strong organizational and proofreading skills required. Must possess an adaptable and positive demeanor.
Job Type: Full-time
- appellate: 3 years (Required)
- Legal Assistant: 3 years (Required)