LPN - Full Time, Benefits Eligible (Washington, DC)
MedStar Visiting Nurse Association – Washington, DC
- Provides direct and indirect patient care services under the supervision of a registered nurse.
- Graduation from an accredited program of Practical Nursing.
- 2 years recent clinical experience in an acute care setting; home care experience preferred.
- Valid LPN license in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia, or any combination as required based on work location(s). CPR certification required.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses patients physical, mental, and emotional status and changes in patients support system. Assesses patients and familys knowledge of health problems. Observes, records, and reports changes in patient status to the case manager.
- Contributes to the achievement of established goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Completes annual Code of Conduct, Compliance and other mandatory training. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Maintains effective working relationships with other departments and participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams. Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and agency in community outreach efforts. Enhances growth and development and enriches personal knowledge and skill through participation in educational programs and affiliations.
- Participates in care planning and development of patient goals.
- Participates in the implementation of care plan interventions, including teaching. Under the guidance of the case manager, provides direct nursing care according to physicians plan of treatment; administering selected treatments and medication and performing procedures in accordance to agency standards of practice. Provides for emotional support and physical comfort and safety of patients. Assists with the rehabilitation of patients and encourages independence in activities of daily living according to patients capabilities and potential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Under guidance of case manager, evaluates patient and family response to plan of care and effectiveness of teaching. Documents patient/family progress toward goals and outcomes according to agency clinical record policy.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.