Our overnight cruises division American Queen Steamboat Company specializes in overnight cruise vessel management and operations. Steamboat/riverboat overnight cruises along Americas rivers and inland waterways are a resurgent part of the American experience.
For consideration, all applicants must copy and paste this link into a new browser window and complete: https://www.cindexinc.com/c/6E6B8A
The Maitre d ensures friendly and professional service in the dining venues to the fullest satisfaction of our guests.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for day to day operations of all dining venues.
- Records reservations, assigns tables to customers & handles customer complaints, oversees wait staff and ensures that duties are completed in a timely & efficient manner.
- Handles special events within the dining venues, i.e. birthdays, anniversaries.
- Training of all dining room crew.
- Maintain the standards for United States Public Health.
- Reporting of the necessary repairs and general maintenance of the restaurant and the FPC.
- Communicates daily with the Bar Manager, Executive Chef regarding service in all dining venues.
- Communicates daily with the Bar Manager regarding wine and beverage service in the restaurant.
- Creates a team spirit while showing motivation and leadership qualities.
- Designating specific responsibilities to the Head Waiters.
- Assigning work schedules, time off, and side duties to dining room crew.
- Ordering of equipment and manage as deemed necessary, for the daily operation and controlling and inventory of all equipment.
- Ensuring all service personnel adhere to company standards regarding uniforms, personal appearance and hygiene.
- Setting up and maintaining a cleaning schedule.
- Welcome guests at the Maitre d desk with special attention for VIPs and special requests.
- Supervise and assist the Head Waiters in their stations to maintain a high level of service.
- Visit every table to ensure that all service is to the guests satisfaction.
- Communicate any adverse comments to the Chef and act upon them immediately.
- Promote the range of special products, Champagnes, rare wine vintages and the cognac selection.
- Ensure behavior and performance supports the companys Mission; promotes year-round success of system
- Follow company values in responding to others in work situations
- Meet standards for service behaviors
- Use recovery steps to respond to others who are dissatisfied
- Make hospitality standards an important part of day-to-day duties
- Be a STEAM System example for others; sets example for values during times when there is conflict and stress
- Trains and completes certification for STEAM system of existing and new employees within 7 days of hiring
- Holds all employees and leaders equally accountable to meet technical, employee and leader standards
- Promotes STEAM system: reinforces performance at or above standards and coaches performance below standard
- Solicits feedback; takes action to continuously improve success of team
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- HS Diploma Required, or Equivalent
- Bachelors degree required in related field preferred
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- TABC Permit (Server Permit)
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
- Skills & Abilities:
- Possess high level of service and hospitality standards
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to train and supervise others
- 5-7 years full service operations
- Experienced in supervision & training of employees
- Cruise industry experience preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
The majority of work is performed in a Marine environment in both indoor and outdoor conditions with exposure to various temperatures and weather conditions, along with a moderate to loud noise level.
The Marine operation is subject to varied wake and motion.
Positions both live and work onboard a vessel, on a rotational basis for consecutive port-to-port voyages during the regular season.
- Ability to stand and walk on nearly a constant basis
- Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently
- Ability to carry, push/pull and/or lift materials weighing upwards of 50 lbs
- Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely
- Ability to manipulate/handle/grip materials required to perform job
- Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel
- Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job
- Must be capable of performing emergency duties as listed in the vessels station bill
- Crew bed/bunk equipment are rated for 250 lbs maximum weight capacity per bunk.