Manager In Training
Under the direction of the Store Manager and Retail Operations Training Manager, engages in a structured training program designed to teach all aspects of store management. The store manager trainee program combines virtual classroom, special assignments/projects and in-store training and is structured for a specific period of time. This job is an entry-level position in the store management hierarchy. Partner with and learn from store management team all facets of bookstore operations including budgets and financial goals, service levels, policy administration, employment, supervision and development of store staff, sales and related matters. Ensures compliance with company policies and procedure. Partners with various support partners to include Store Operations, AP, HR and Training. Consistently demonstrates Follett Values - Integrity, Accountability, Customers, Each and Every Team Member, Innovation and Teamwork. Must seek permanent employment toward the end of the program. Must relocate as required in the program.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Responsible for independently completing training modules and quizzes according to the training plan.
- Communicates regularly with Training Manager. Learn/hands on experience with all aspects of retail management, full cycle talent management, to include recruiting, training, coaching, and talent development.
- Learn how too effectively performance manages and maintains a culture of accountability.
- Analyzes store financials to determine store performance and performance by department and makes any necessary changes to adjust to any unfavorable categories. Resolves any problems between the store and school faculty, staff or administrators.
- Makes determination of markdowns and write-offs.
- Analyzes store markdowns and write-offs to ensure they are not inordinate.
- Summarizes data into management reports.
- Ensures that the Daily Sales Report is completed each day.
- Analyzes enrollment figures, past history, and current adoptions to determine the number of books to buy during buyback and the quantity of new books to order.
- Ensures orders are placed in a timely manner.
- Partners with the store management team to ensure the security of company assets and the safety of associates and customers, and adherence to Company policies.
- Responsible for meeting annual shrink budget.
- Provides support and leadership to assigned training store. Learn to prepare and implement detailed plans for each department.
- Learn the importance of meeting the needs for employee schedules, budgets, floor plans, and campus events such as Rush, Buy Back, Inventory.
- In partnership with the store management team, coordinate sales promotions, special events, book signings, and directs employees in the preparation of merchandise displays, store layout and advertising copy.
- Maintains a Hassle Free customer service culture, focused on solutions-based selling and an exceptional customer experience. Interacts with customers, faculty, staff, administrators, vendors, and home office staff to share information to improve and drive market share. Answers routine inquiries and handles escalated complaints.
- May occasionally host campus contact or other decision makers.
- Provides support for all facets related to course materials, to include hands on experience and review of enrollment numbers, past history, inventory levels and current adoptions in order to ensure appropriate quantities for purchase and to buy back.
- Provides support while learning and hands-on experience with all back office functions, including the preparation of invoices, processing of chargebacks and coordination of stock shipments are completed in accordance with company directives and/or policies and procedures.
- Supports annual inventory if applicable. Partners with store management team to plan for special events (athletics, graduation); as well as plan for special sales and promotions. Manages the visual presentations to create an exciting shopping environment for customers.
- May work on renovation projects, store reorganizations, new store openings and store closings. Responds to requests for special reports and information or for help on special projects. Take on assignments for one or more stores as required.
- Actively seeks job placement after approval from Training Manager. Must relocate as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor s degree is required.
- 0-3 years of experience
- 0-3+ years of retail management or strong customer service experience; academic retail experience a plus; strong organizational, time management and problem-solving skills; strong customer service, communication and presentation skills; strong analytical skills and financial acumen; advanced relationship building, a demonstrated ability to influence a team and customer outreach.
- General Computer Skills
Equal opportunity employer. This company considers candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.