AEG Worldwide is the worlds leading sports and live entertainment company, with offices on five continents. The company uses its global network of venues, portfolio of powerful sports and music brands, ticketing and content distribution platforms and its integrated entertainment districts to deliver the most creative and innovative live sports and entertainment experiences that inspire athletes, teams, artists and fans.
STAPLES Center has clearly established itself as the sports and entertainment center of the world. As the home of four professional sports franchises the NBAs Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers, the NHLs Los Angeles Kings and the most recent 2016 WNBA Champions Los Angeles Sparks STAPLES Center has proven to be a home court advantage for the local teams. The AEG owned and operated arena continues to distinguish itself as the host of major, high-profile events of national and international distinction including the 2004 & 2011 NBA All-Star Games, 2002 & 2017 NHL All-Star Game, 2000 Democratic National Convention, 2009 World Figure Skating Championships and 17 of the last 18 GRAMMY Awards shows. STAPLES Centers sixteen years have also been marked with performances and special events that brought international stature to the downtown Los Angeles venue including concerts Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Prince U2, Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, Usher, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Keith Urban, Roger Waters, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran, Kendrick Lamar, Sade and Justin Timberlake, as well as world championship boxing, family shows and special events. Hosting over 250 events a year, the arenas reputation for world-class amenities, features and commitment to quality of service and the guest experience is second to none. Staples, Inc. entered into a 20-year agreement to become the arenas Naming Rights Partner December 1, 1998, which has since been extended into perpetuity.
The STAPLES Center Security Department strives to achieve and maintain the highest level of quality in all aspects of security work. The Security Manager is responsible for managing a team of Security Supervisors and Security Officers, ultimately ensuring a safe, secure, and comfortable entertainment experience for our guests by planning, monitoring, directing, delegating, controlling, and managing all functions of the Security Department during events. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: personnel management, risk management, loss prevention, fire/life safety, security/safety training, investigations, budgeting, emergency preparedness and disaster prevention.
Key Job Factors:
- Level of accountability: Generally independent with occasional oversight
- Level of decision making:Diversified tasks
- Has contact with: Inside / Outside company
- Supervision: Direct supervision/management of employee(s)
- Position Title(s) of Direct Report(s): Security Supervisors (10 full-time); Security Officers (approx. 180 part-time, during events)
- Physical Requirements: Considerable physical effort
- Travel Percentage (%): 10%
Essential Duties: Security Management
- Ensure proper enforcement of venue event policies and procedures, including the STAPLES Center Guest Code of Conduct.
- Establish and maintain the venues reputation for excellent entertainment experience by balancing enforcement of rules and regulations with guest safety and enjoyment.
- Maintain the proper image and generate positive public relations by resolving STAPLES Center guest/artist/client/tenant issues, concerns, and complaints pertaining to security during events.
- Work with Guest Services management to communicate with past, current and future STAPLES Center guests to answer inquiries, respond to concerns/complaints, and prevent future issues.
- Work with Guest Services staff in managing large crowds under constantly changing event environments.
- Work with Director of Security on Emergency Evacuation/Response Plans and communication/relationship with LAPD/LAFD.
- Consistently review established policies and procedures, making recommendations for change/improvement to the Director, Security and Sr. Director, Security.
- Research and analyze event information (security riders, site visits) to provide staffing recommendations and estimates prior to events.
- Assist with the development, implementation and management of facility security systems and programs.
- Make immediate decisions and communicate with security staff in emergency situations.
- Create, foster, and maintain STAPLES Centers reputation for great service and reduce liabilities by effectively supervising staff including full- and part-time Security Supervisors and Officers.
- Manage a team of Security Supervisors and provide necessary training, support, and guidance.
- Empower supervisory team to lead, coach, mentor, and discipline security personnel as deemed necessary.
- Complete annual performance reviews for Security Supervisors and Security Officers.
- Develop Security Department policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Develop and maintain Security Supervisor training manual.
- Interview, hire/select, and train security staff per policy/guidelines.
- Oversee and manage new hire training programs for the department, including scheduling and coordination of training topics.
- Maintain attendance records of full-time security officers and supervisors. Provide feedback and counseling as deemed necessary.
- Work with Director to create department employee incentive programs. Communicate and execute programs with Asst. Manager.
- Work with Assistant Manager and Director(s) to develop employee succession program.
- Serve as primary Security contact to STAPLES Center event management personnel (Building Manager, Guest Services Manager, Event Manager, Operations Manager, etc.) during assigned events.
- Determine and recommend security and emergency services staffing needed to make the event successful and accomplish clients goals.
- Manage scheduling for medical services contractor, including EMTs and ambulance services. Assist with managing medical services contractor during events.
- Manage, maintain and build positive relationships with other STAPLES Center management personnel.
- A minimum education level of: BA/BS Degree (4-year)
- Minimum of 5 years security experience in a sports or entertainment facility (e.g., sports arena/venue, concert venue, stadium).
- Supervisory experience with large team of 100-300 part-time and full-time individuals.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, recognize problems and find solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and handle a variety of dayto-day tasks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; works well with all levels of staff and management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Ability to read, listen, and communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to stand/walk for long periods of time and lift/push/pull 30 lbs.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours as dictated by events and schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- OSHA 10 Certified Safety Trainer
- Certification or Certificates in Security Management
- IAVM Venue Management School graduate
- IAVM Academy for Venue Safety School graduate
- T.E.A.M. Training Certification
- CPR, First Aid and AED Certifications
- Bilingual a plus
AEG reserves the right to change or modify the employees job description whether orally or in writing, at any time during the employment relationship. AEG may require an employee to perform duties outside his/her normal description.
AEG is committed to developing a diverse workforce reflective of the marketplace and the communities in which we do business. We believe a diverse workforce is not merely an advantage; it is mandatory for any company to be successful in today s business climate.
This Employer is subject to the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance (FCIHO) (LAMC 189.00)