The Medical Assistant (MA) is an integral member of the healthcare team, participates in the direct and indirect care of patients, health maintenance, patient instruction, collaborative planning and will function as an interdisciplinary team member. Team members will be required to float among radiology clinics associated within Brigham Health as needed. These sites are, but not limited to: 75 Francis Street Boston MA.,850 Boylston Street, Chestnut Hill Ma, and 20 Patriot Place Foxborough, Ma.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Job duties and responsibilities may vary by department (see addendum A for more detail)Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates true engagement and enthusiasm to contribute toward the care delivery for patients and families.
- Promotes an inclusive environment supportive of patient and family centered care for a diverse community.
- Assists with room prep and set-up for procedures within the practice following standard operating procedures.
- Assists with all procedures within the practice, including, but not limited to, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), mammography (MG), and ultrasound (US) guided procedures. The procedures are, but not limited to, core needle biopsies, radioactive seed placement, wire localization, cyst aspiration, fine needle aspiration, abscess drainage, and research samples.
- Takes vital signs, as needed
- Performs patient education and counseling.
- Assists with receiving test results for physicians and calling patient with follow up of labs and tests under direction of a physician.
- Answers practice phones, take messages, and schedules appointments when appropriate, in addition to assisting with administrative work.
- Escorts patients and labs/supplies to other areas of the hospital, as requested.
- Clean equipment and room after each procedure, following infection control guidelines.
- Clearly communicates to radiologists and technologists status of patient and room readiness to keep flow of procedures running efficiently.
- Has a thorough understanding of how the procedures operate and anticipate the needs of the doctors and patients.
- Maintains excellent customer service skills.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required
- A minimum of a Medical Assistant certificate within the state of Massachusetts, preferred
- Some college or Associates Degree preferred
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Certificate Program preferred
- Experience in healthcare preferred
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical Skills/Competencies Required:Clinical Skills:
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of varied medical procedures and a basic understanding of the modalities, CT, MRI, MG, & US in the department.
- Beginning to intermediate knowledge and use of medical terminology.
- Knowledge and ability to perform tasks appropriate to the clinical setting.
- Strong clinical judgment skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Demonstrates effective oral, written, and telephonic communications skills.
- Communicates in a professional, courteous, clear and concise manner.
- Facilitates relationships between patients, families, and other members of the health care team.
- Able to effectively communicate via email, memo, or interoffice note, documentation of patient information, and to take complete and accurate messages
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, appropriately prioritize clinical work, follow established policies, procedures and clinical practice guidelines, and workflows.
- Demonstrates ability to utilize technology in the clinical setting. Includes basic computer skills as well as the utilization of electronic medical equipment. Ability to type accurately and enter data at an intermediate level. Ability to become proficient in using the Electronic Health Record (EHR) and other appropriate applications.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners: follow safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners; as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.
EEO Statement Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Primary Location: MA-Boston-Boston - BWH Main Campus Work Locations: Boston - BWH Main Campus 75 Francis St Boston 02115 Job: Medical Assistant Organization: Brigham & Women s Hospital(BWH) Schedule: Full-time Standard Hours: 40 Shift: Day Job Employee Status: Regular Recruiting Department: BWH Radiology Job Posting: Jul 26, 2019