Tufts Medical Center – Boston, MA
Under general supervision, the Medical Assistant is responsible for continuous, efficient and smooth patient flow assisting patients in the Medical Center s Asian Women s Care Clinic. Responds to hourly variations in patient volume, and clinician and room availability to continually maximize efficient use of space and resources. Identifies and provides necessary clinical preparation according to protocols, patient interactions, and review of patient chart. Responds quickly to requests for assistance during and after patient exam from physicians. Ensures urgent care patients are triaged in a timely manner by notifying physician upon their arrival.
Assists in Direct Patient Care:
- Triages patient, escorts patient to exam room and prepares patient for provider visit.
- Checks to ensure patient comfort and privacy, informs them to the waiting time, need to wear gown etc.
- Controls and monitors patient flow to maximize efficient use of providers and exam rooms.
- Performs vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, temperature, height and weight); records vital signs in to patient s electronic medical record.
- Assists care providers with physical exams and procedures:
- Prepares exam room for each patient, maintaining standard of the practice for stocking and cleanliness.
- Sets up and assists with procedures as requested by nursing/medical staff.
- Uses proper techniques and procedures for hazardous waste disposal, universal precautions and for body mechanics.
- Prepares medical record for patient visit, checking for accuracy and completion of demographic information.
- Ensures all test results are available for review and completes a review of the preventive guideline template. This may require interviewing the patient to obtain data.
- Prepares laboratory and radiology requisitions.
- Arranges for diagnostic testing, surgery and in-patient admissions.
During the visit:
- Gives instructions on specimen collection to patients.
- Takes and records all vital signs, records chief complaint, and assesses need for referrals and prescription renewals.
- Performs a variety of routine tests and procures such as: Sets up and performs 12 lead EKGs; enters requisitions into computer.
- Transmits EKG data; Sets up nebulizer equipment; Test procedures such as stool guaiac, urine dipsticks.
- Obtains medical equipment under the direction of a provider.
- Maintains yearly competency in waived testing done in the practice, including: stool guaiac and glucose finger sticks.
- Performs weekly comprehensive checklists for continuous readiness.
- Assists provider, patient and patient s family with admitting patient into the hospital.
- Makes out clothing list and facilitates smooth transition to inpatient unit.
- Monitors inventory and orders medical supplies as needed.
- Maintains equipment and supplies to prevent expiration.
Patient Scheduling and Registration:
- Exercises a high degree of customer service in all dealing with patients, internal and external customers.
- Answers telephone calls and screens for appropriate handling.
- Takes accurate and timely messages.
- Schedules patient appointments, collects demographic and insurance information.
- Completes necessary registration forms or inputs registration data.
- Provides general clerical support for team of providers as needed.
- Pulls charts and files as determined by team.
- Prepares patient billing from information gathered on the encounter form. Ensures that CPT code, diagnosis code and all supplies and procedures are indicated.
- Administers weekly patient billing manually or by utilizing an automated billing system.
- Participates in team meetings. Participates in quality improvement projects.
Performs other similar job related duties as required or directed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Specialized diploma/certificate demonstrating knowledge or ability obtained through the completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Training Program.
- BLS Certification required.
- National certification as a Medical Assistant preferred.
- Knowledge of Asian Culture strongly preferred.
- Fluency in Mandarin or Cantonese strongly preferred.
- One to two years of medical experience preferred.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Ability to prioritize work and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and accurately with excellent follow-through.
- Proficient in MS Office, experience with electronic medical records systems (Ecw) preferred.
- E-mail and automated scheduling software and the ability to navigate through hospital-based computer systems.
- Ability to read, write and spell in English to ensure accurate message taking.
- Knowledge of business math, ability to make calculations and analytical skills required.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge and ability to use universal precautions, and knowledge of patient handling required.
- Ability to complete and pass hospital s competency skills in waived test (point of care) list for practice.
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Must be familiar with procedures in ensuring patient and personal safety.