U.S. Dermatology Partners – Ponca City, OK
This position will work in Stillwater, OK for approximately 3-6 months then will transfer to Ponca City, OK full time.
The Medical Assistant is to provide assistance to the licensed-medical provider in multiple settings including the clinic and surgical settings. They are to provide safe, knowledgeable, compassionate individualized care to all patients. Responsible for the following, based on the needs of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a patient advocate during patient exam and treatment
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Show patients to examination rooms, procedure rooms or operative rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Record patients medical history, medications, allergies, vital statistics and information such as test results in medical records.
- Ensure proper consent forms are obtained prior to preparing a patient for treatment
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician following safety protocol of right dose, right patient, right route, right drug and noting expiration date
- Collect blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, wound care instructions and physicians instructions to patients.
- Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments and materials or performing such tasks as giving injections and removing sutures.
- Under Provider direction, authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- One (1)+ year experience in a medical setting, preferred
- Certified as a Medical Assistant by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or other recognized
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements
- Thorough knowledge of medical terminology, required.
- Knowledge of sterile technique, anatomy, and medications
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Management and organizational skills to support the leadership of this function
- Ability to follow or provide verbal & written instructions with sufficient grammar and spelling skills to avoid mistakes or misinterpretations
- Interpersonal skills to support customer service, functional, and team mate support needs
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Mathematical and/or analytical ability for basic to intermediate problem solving
- Basic to intermediate computer operation
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Specialty knowledge of systems relating to job function
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations for this position; general understanding of HIPAA guidelines
- Assist physician with surgical procedure while maintaining sterile field
- Assess the patients condition throughout the exam, procedure or surgery according to the facilitys policies and notify physician and RN of any indication of distress
- Responsible for cleaning room and medical equipment in between each patient and at the end of the day.
- Correctly disposes of infection waste and biohazard materials
- Schedule appointments for patients
- Change dressings on wounds.
- Greet patients arriving at office or clinic.
- Contact medical facilities or departments to schedule patients for tests and/or admission.
- Inventory and assess the need for instruments, supplies and equipment while keeping the room stocked
- Perform routine laboratory tests and sample analyses.
- Performs accurate documentation of all procedures in a timely manner
- Responds to emergency situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol by having knowledge of equipment and supplies and is familiar with their location
- Assist physicians in patient, employee, or visitor medical emergencies and ensure proper documentation per facilitys policy.
- Inventory and order medical emergency supplies monthly and ensure all equipment is in proper working order.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities while supporting a culture of high quality and great customer service.
- Performs other duties that may be necessary or in the best interest of the organization.
Job Type: Full-time
- CPR/BLS (Required)
- CMA (Preferred)