Shift: Full time, Days, Rotating weekends
Reporting to the assigned Practice Manager, with accountability to the Clinical Supervisor, serves as primary assistant to the medical provider by performing routine clinical tasks and direct patient care under the supervision of the Physician (MD) and Registered Nursing (RN). Based on physician orders, facilitates patient throughput, clinical testing, and follow up activities.
1. Performs routine tasks to assist the primary care provider in patient care related activities. Cleans and maintains exam and treatment rooms and stocks clinical supplies and equipment. Escorts patients to exam/treatment rooms. Practicing good customer relations, collects and documents patient data and history regarding nutrition, activity, mental state, temperature, pulse, blood pressure, height and weight. Observes and responds to the general needs of patients. Reports the general physical and mental condition of the patient to the physician. Prepares patient with basic explanation of treatment procedures and assists the physician during the examination as directed.
2. Reviews and updates patient records prior to appointment with recent test results and correspondence and determines potential services anticipated per practice protocols. Confers with physician on any incomplete patients tests, consults or orders prior to the patient visit. May assist with scheduling tests and treatments, pre-certifying patients for hospital care and/or procedures and processing referrals to other care providers.
3. Performs selected clinical duties, reviews patient self-reported history and physical, vital signs, injections and immunizations, and assists in minor office procedures under the direction of the MD/APP/RN. Performs venipunctures and finger sticks; identifies correct patient before collecting specimen and labels specimens before leaving the patient. Performs Point of Care testing and supports lab draw site services according to CLIA and hospital policies. Logs and documents procedures performed according to hospital requirements. Completes EKGs, suture removal, and dressing changes.
4. Performs various clerical functions; answers telephones, relays and responds to patient messages with physician direction. Updates and processes patient medical records with all patient communication. Schedules appointments and documents patient referrals when needed. Coordinates patient care through the appropriate triaging of patient phone calls and call backs as assigned by the provider when applicable
5. Manages patient contact and follow up as directed and by electronic medical record (EMR) tasks. Follows up on all overdue orders, verbal and written, as identified in the electronic record task box. Provides accurate documentation on patient compliance with follow up and notifies physician of all refusals for orders. Documents all interventions, results, patient / family interactions, and medications dispensed in the record.
6. Provides a safe and therapeutic patient environment that maintains patients respect, dignity and confidentiality of health information. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to complete routine clinical tasks involving all age groups of patients under the supervision of a licensed MD/APP/RN.
7. Remains alert to potential Quality Assurance problems and actively participates in process improvement opportunities. May participate in QI projects, data collection and patient outreach as assigned.
8. Adheres to all Northwest Community Hospital standards, policies, and procedures. Qualifications 1. Requires current certification from a national Medical Assistant certification body or obtain within 3 months of hire or transfer.
2. Working knowledge of and experience with the use clinical equipment and materials.
3. Current CPR certification from the American Heart Association.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate test results and document legibly.
5. Interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with patients, team members, and physicians and to maintain team-oriented relationships with senior management, managers and staff.
6. Ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision while exercising attention to details and independent judgment within stated guidelines.
7. Ability to maintain high customer service standards.
8. Proficient computer skills and the ability to learn and effectively utilize department specific software systems.
9. Ability to effectively perform or learn technical skills to perform essential functions within allocated time frame.
10. Ability to work a flexible schedule as part of a team.
11. Ability and willingness to float between multiple Physician Office locations when needed.
NCH at a glance
Northwest Community Healthcare (NCH) is known for compassionate care and its convenient location. But it s our advanced technologies, clinical expertise and state-of-the-art facilities that offer the latest treatments and assure the care, comfort and safety of our patients and the community. NCH offers:
- A 489-bed hospital, including 200 private rooms in the South Pavilion
- Four Immediate Care Centers, located in Buffalo Grove, Lake Zurich, Mount Prospect and Schaumburg
- Seven accessible outpatient imaging locations that provide advanced imaging technology
- The Day Surgery Center, a same-day outpatient surgery center
Annually, NCH treats an average of 24,000 inpatients and conducts:
- 337,000 outpatient visits
- 43,000 home care visits
- 3,100 newborn deliveries
- Approximately 18,000 inpatient and outpatient surgical cases, ranging from open heart surgery and joint replacement to neurosurgery and minimally invasive procedures
NCH provides our patients and community with safe, high quality care - and it shows. Here are a few of the many awards and designations we ve recently achieved:
- Magnet Recognition for Nursing Excellence (The American Nurses Credentialing Center awards Magnet status to hospitals that exhibit exemplary patient outcomes and satisfaction, have impressive nurse-to-patient ratios, and attract and retain the best nursing staff.)
- Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award
- The Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval
- 2016 American Heart Association and the American Stroke Association Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award
- 4,000 employees including nurses, allied health professionals, administrative and support personnel
- More than 1,000 physicians with offices throughout the northwest suburbs
- NCH Medical Group, an employed physician group focusing on primary and specialty care
- Approximately 800 volunteers providing more than 100,000 hours of service annually
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Buffalo Grove
Work Locations: 1450 Busch Pkwy - NCHMG 1450 Busch Pkwy Buffalo Grove 60089
Job: Medical Group
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular