Medical Examiner Assistant I
Off of Chief Medical Examiner – Holyoke, MA
- Assists the Medical Examiner in all aspects of the forensic autopsy.
- Must be able to follow and adhere to specific Standard Operating Procedures and become proficient in all skills associated with the autopsy and autopsy services.
- Assist in preparation and evisceration of the bodies.
- Assist in the collection of tissue and fluid/toxicology samples.
- Responsible for appropriate handling, labeling, and for accurately entering specimens and evidentiary information into computer systems.
- Required to operate all autopsy and mortuary related equipment.
- Responsible for daily cleaning and disinfection of the autopsy suite and surgical instruments.
- Responsible for dispatching and responding to scenes and medical facilities.
- Will be required to operate a state vehicle and therefore, must possess good driving skills and maintain a clean driving record.
- Responsible for moving, lifting, preparing, positioning, photographing, and storing remains on scene and at a medical examiner facility.
- Interact with both private and public entities.
- Strong background/knowledge in anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology.
- Must be physically fit, agile, and able to lift and remove bodies of various sizes in a variety of situations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a high stress environment and the ability to communicate effectively with funeral homes, police and other individuals that interact or work with the Agency.
- Since this is a 24/7 operations, must be willing to work all three shifts if requested or assigned.
- Working knowledge of basic computer skills.
This posting is for the Holyoke/Westfield Office. Qualifications This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days. MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS Applicants must possess an Associates Degree or Certification from a technical school in a science or medical field. Incumbents are required to possess a valid Motor Vehicle License at a class level specific to assignment. Incumbents must have standard immunizations. Applicants are required to undergo a medical evaluation and must pass this evaluation/test to be fit tested to wear a respirator. An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Official Title: Medical Examiner Assistant I Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Holyoke-1221 Main Street Job: Laboratory Services Agency: Chief Medical Examiner Schedule: Full-time Shift: Multiple Job Posting: Jun 19, 2019, 9:41:58 AM Number of Openings: 2 Salary: 49,008.70 - 66,741.22 Yearly If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Kristine Cavicchi - 857-377-2228 Bargaining Unit: 02-AFSCME - Service/Institutional Confidential: No