Medical Records Clerk
PrimeCare Health Community Health Centers – Chicago, IL
Performs medical records activities including filing, pulling and delivering medical records to the proper location and handling the information in a confidential manner. Maintains and makes available to authorized users timely, accurate, secure and complete patient health information. Controls the release of medical information in accordance with applicable standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Models PrimeCareHealths mission, philosophy and values.
- Pulls charts for appointments and all requests for charts.
- Reviews all returned medical records for completeness and assures that each provider has initialed, dated and signed all paper work before being filed.
- Sorts, maintains and files information, correspondence, labs and tests into charts within 24 hours following established chart organization.
- Answers telephone calls and requests pertaining to medical records.
- Allergy stamp on the front of the chart and if no allergy written NKA and if there is an allergy it needs to be written on all progress notes and on the front of the chart.
- Assures that the amount of information in the medical record is manageable and relevant.
- Adheres to established timelines to ensure that documents such as labs and x-rays are filed within 24 hours.
- Makes sure that all charts follow the chart set-up, currently draft #7 and that those that do not are addressed in a timely manner.
- Ensures those assigned to that department are directed in such a manner as to prioritize properly to get the most important tasks done:
- File lab within 24 hours.
- All charts filed at the end of the day.
- Acknowledgement of all HIPPA regulations before a patients medical information is disclosed and there must be a signed consent by the patient.
- Makes sure that all forms are signed and dated by the front end staff and the patient.
- Provider gives abnormal labs to MRC to pull chart and place on his/her desk for review.
- MRC will have a list of all prenatals with due dates .She will responsible for sending all their records including history, progress notes, labs and ultrasound reports pertaining to the prenatal care to via fax to St. Marys Labor and Delivery Dept. during the 36-38 weeks or after the GBBS result is in, and give a copy of the faxed material to the physician after faxing.
- When Medical Records are requested always have a medical release signed by the patient or the patients guardian requests are good for 1 year or otherwise specified, for patients that are applying for Social Security Disability. A signed release by the patient will be sent. Once received by and signed off by the provider, the MRC will send copies of our records by mail. When lawyers are requesting copies of record, there is a $25.00 charge and once payment is received and the provider signs off the request MRC will send copies of the records by mail.
- Sending records from one physician to another by patient request for transfer of care, there is no charge and MRC will mail a copy to the physician.
Required Knowledge, Experience, or Licensure/Registration
- High School diploma
- Two years previous medical office experience (preferred)
- Computer experience
- Bilingual In Spanish or Polish preferred
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong customer service skills
Job Type: Full-time
- Medical Records: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- polish (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)