Medical Technician Intern
Brightpoint Health – Bronx, NY
TITLE: Medical Technician Intern
REPORTS TO: Regional Nurse Manager or Director of Clinical Operations
LOCATION: The Hub
POSITION STATUS: Intern
DEPARTMENT: Primary Care
FLSA STATUS: N/A
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Medical Technician Interns is a member of the medical care team and is responsible for assisting nursing and medical provider/staff with a prescribed set of duties in the provision of patient care. This position also performs clerical duties, acts as receptionist and communicates with all disciplines
- Coordinates reception/front office operations duties Greet and register all patients as they arrive, perform insurance verification/MUT preparation, schedule appointments, answer calls, take messages and other similar clerical tasks.
- Adheres to Front Desk Protocol for patient flow (1. Reception, 2. Registration, 3. Triage, 4. Escort to Provider, 5. Labs, 6. Discharge and follow up appointments).
- Maintains standard precautions in the provision of direct patient care; obtain vital signs before visits- including height, weight, vision screening, glucose tests, peak flow measures, etc.
- Assist in procedures that are appropriate relative to the Companys policy and/or general clinical operating standards as requested GYN, EKG, etc.
- Verbalizes knowledge of and adherence to OSHA standards for blood- borne pathogens; Utilizes appropriate technique in performing venipuncture to obtain blood specimens in accordance with agency procedure.
- Responsible for all Lab functions clinic liaison for lab issues, performs phlebotomy, replenishes lab supplies, etc.
- Responsible for performing and documenting CLIA controls as indicated, specimen refrigerator and lab room temperatures daily.
- Assists the Nurse Care Coordinator with monitoring emergency supplies O2 tanks, Defib pads/battery, and emergency medication boxes - and promptly reports malfunction, missing or damaged equipment to the NCC.
- Ensure and maintain an adequate inventory of all necessary supplies, including medical equipment, forms and other inventory that might be appropriate or required by the physician.
- Completes or assists in the completion of various patient forms such as insurance claims, disability forms, medication approvals, etc.
- Coordinates discharge process - schedules, all f/u appointments, referrals, radiology, transportation, prior approvals, etc.
- Ensures faxed documents are processed and distributed/assigned to appropriate provider.
- Confirms next day appointments for medical and mental health; follows up on missed appointments with call/letters per agency policy and documents results in EMR.
- Refers clients with insurance issues to insurance specialists; communicates with Nursing Administration for visit approval as needed.
- Other duties as directed by supervisor.
The above is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all the job functions
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited Medical Assistant training program.
- Experience in ambulatory care setting and some knowledge of medical terminology required.
- Clerical and basic computer skills required.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs and able to stand for long periods of time.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.