Dept Number/Name: 0-6001-005 / HSC Office of Research
College Division: USF Health - Morsani College of Medicine
Salary Plan: Administrative
Job Code/Title: 9634 / Nurse/Researcher
Hiring Salary/Salary Range: $54,500 - $76,000
Position Number: 00034334
The mission of the Office of Clinical Research (OCR) is to provide faculty with resources, information and expertise in clinical research to advance the science of healthcare. The OCR facilitates the process of conducting clinical research, from inception through completion, with the ultimate goal of delivering state of the art healthcare services to the community in the Greater Tampa Bay area and beyond. Our office manages non-federally sponsored clinical research studies for faculty in the Morsani College of Medicine and is comprised of three functional areas; clinical services, business operations, and fiscal operations.
The Nurse/Researcher will coordinate, conduct and evaluate clinical research related activities as assigned and support the development and growth of the USF Health Clinical Research Center. The primary purpose of this position is to oversee the screening, enrollment and retention of study participants, to coordinate study visits, ensure quality of data collected throughout the research study, and implement the procedures and activities of the assigned study protocols, according to all applicable regulations and regulatory compliance, under the direction of the Principal Investigator. As a Registered Nurse, the Nurse Researcher utilizes education and expertise to oversee patient-related activities of the studies.
- Recruit, screen and provide research related services, interventions and evaluations per protocol for participants enrolled in clinical research studies under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI). Provide initial and ongoing informed consent with participants and families. Schedule study visits and procedures and follow-up study visits per protocol visit windows. Administer investigational product per protocol. Perform study related procedures such as collection of vital signs and anthropometric measurements, phlebotomy, ECGs, injections, infusions and other procedures per protocol as delegated by the PI and in accordance with training and experience. Communicate participant status to Investigator and research team as well as other entities as required. Strive to enhance subject retention in assigned protocol. Assure all reporting requirements are met per regulatory and institutional policies and procedures. Track and report participant study visit activity and procedures for assigned protocols.
- Compile and maintain research progress notes and source documents and record data for each study participant in accordance with the research protocol. Monitor participant s unexpected and adverse events, laboratory, radiology, and other procedure test results and report to Investigator, sponsor and Institutional Review Board (IRB) as appropriate. Collect and report study data on paper Case Report Forms or in electronic data capture systems per protocol, including query resolution. Develop source document templates as needed per protocol. Monitor clinical study activity to ensure compliance with the protocol, site SOPs (Standard Operating Procedure) and all applicable regulations, including HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) regulations.
- Under the Assistant Director and Nurse Manager of the Clinical Research Center, support the development of the USF Clinical Research Center (CRC). Assist with supervision of the day to day operations of the Clinical Research Center (CRC) including the coordination of clinical research study activities amongst all users of this shared resource. Assist with the development and dissemination of policies, procedures and site SOPs for the CRC. Assist with quality assurance of research activities conducted in the CRC. Serve as an OCR/CRC liaison with investigators, study staff, USF Health Care and research volunteers as well as research sponsors and Clinical Research Organizations (CROs). Assist with tracking and reporting on CRC utilization.
- Prepare and submit documents to the Institutional Review Board(s) and other research review boards and committees as applicable and according to regulatory and institutional requirements. Compile and maintain regulatory files for assigned protocols. Coordinate, prepare for and participate in monitoring visits, audits and inspections.
- Educate patients, families and staff in regard to clinical research activity. Complete and maintain necessary training to stay abreast of current regulatory guidelines. Participate in the planning and execution of education and training activities, specific to assigned studies and to general clinical research educational activities. Serve as a resource for both internal and external customers and members of the community in regard to clinical research processes, developments and trends in the field as well as referrals to specific clinical research studies as applicable
- Collect, process and ship research specimens. Achieve and maintain certification in biomedical materials shipping. Ensure that infection control and safety procedures are implemented and maintained. Maintain investigational article accountability records and manage clinical supplies as required for assigned protocols. Interface with Investigational Pharmacy and Affiliate Institutions for assigned studies as applicable. Fulfill required certification or registration processes when assigned to research projects where study visit activity occurs at Affiliate Institutions.
- This position requires licensure as a registered nurse in accordance with Chapter 464, Florida Statutes, or eligible to practice nursing in accordance with Chapter 64 B9, Florida Administrative Code.
- Bachelor s degree in Nursing with two years of nursing research or directly related experience; OR an Associate s degree in Nursing with four years of same experience.
- Annual certifications may be required to participate in specific studies.
- A Master s degree in Nursing is Preferred.
- Two or more years of clinical nursing experience as a registered nurse.
- Two or more years of professional experience in a clinical research setting conducting clinical trials or similar experience working with human research participants.
- Experience in a variety of therapeutic areas is preferred.
- Experience in phlebotomy and IV infusions strongly preferred
- Human subjects protections training, knowledge of the Code of Federal Regulations, ICH Good Clinical Practice Guidelines as applied to clinical trials, IRB and other regulatory processes and procedures including HIPAA in research.
- Medical and research terminology, processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of infection control procedures.
- Basic Life Support and/or Advance Life Support certification preferred.
- Shipping biomedical materials certification preferred.
- Current certification in clinical research is preferred.
- Demonstrated positive, collegial and collaborative work style.
Are you interested in clinical job opportunities with the USF Health Care working for University Medical Service Association, Inc. (UMSA)? Visit https://usfpgcareersource.health.usf.edu/ for more information.
Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
Job Opening Number: 21524
Posting Date: 6/18/19
Posting End Date: 7/17/19
How To Apply
Click on the Apply Now button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
Campus map and location overview:
USF - Health
USF - Tampa Campus
The University of South Florida System is a high-impact, global research system dedicated to student success. The USF System includes three institutions: USF; USF St. Petersburg; and USF Sarasota-Manatee. The institutions are separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. All institutions have distinct missions and their own detailed strategic plans. Serving over 48,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF
With more than 16,000 employees in the USF System, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here .
Connect with us: