At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers financial needs and help them succeed financially. Were looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where youll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Wholesale Banking provides financial solutions to businesses across the United States and globally. Our four major business lines include Corporate & Investment Banking, Commercial Banking, Commercial Real Estate, and Wells Fargo Commercial Capital. We also have groups in credit risk, group risk, finance, marketing, human relations, and the Wholesale Chief Operating Office that support our businesses.
The Wholesale Control (WC) organization serves as the front line risk management organization within the Wholesale Banking group of Wells Fargo supporting the Wholesale businesses with risk strategy, implementation, and execution. The Wholesale Control team is accountable to assess and effectively manage risks across all risk types and Wholesale businesses delivering an integrated view of risks, producing a sustainable control environment, and instilling a culture of strong risk management. The team is responsible to identify and assess risks, design and implement controls, and execute and monitor the controls to ensure they are working effectively to manage risk across Wholesale. Wholesale Control interfaces with Independent Risk Management and Audit to drive comprehensive and consistent implementation of regulatory and corporate risk policies and programs across Wholesale.
The purpose of the International Control team is to identify, assess and mitigate risks across Financial Crimes, Regulatory and Operational Risk types, coordinating with businesses operating internationally, while adhering to policies established by Independent Risk Management (IRM).
We are seeking five Operational Risk Consultants for the following responsibilities.
This senior individual contributor will play an integral role in ensuring effective execution of the Corporate Self-Assurance Activities (SAA) policy for all [Insert Function] related disciplines within Wholesale Banking. Related responsibilities will include; executing monitoring routines, leading and performing process risk based assessments, subject matter expertise to evaluate control design (SHRP and/or BPRM), drafting & owning comprehensive procedures to support SA activities, executing reoccurring SA reviews, and interact and collaborate with the various LOBs/Self Assurance teams to drive appropriate changes identified as a result of performing SAAs.
The Wholesale Control Self-Assurance (WCSA) functions serves as the front line control testing group for key areas of risk across all lines of business within Wholesale, domestic and international operations, and across multiple risk disciplines. The group is responsible for assessing risks, testing the design and execution of key controls, and performing monitoring to ensure processes and controls are working as expected to manage risks across Wholesale. Wholesale Control Assurance interfaces with Independent Risk Management, Audit and the regulators to assess comprehensive and consistent implementation of regulatory and corporate risk policies and programs across Wholesale.
- Lead, develop and implement reoccurring Self-Assurance activities
- Collaborate and influence cross functional groups to ensure comprehensive understanding of business process, Control environment, tool/systems supporting process, and formal policies/procedures that align with SAAs
- Manage inventory of assigned Self-Assurance activities and ensure timely completion of work. This will include initial engagement communications, pre-work, data support, and review routines
- Ensure formal documentation of work summary to include results, root cause analysist on defects, and overall effectiveness ratings of SAA. Review and offer credible challenge for other Ops Risk Consultants summaries
- Ability to independently analyze data and translate complex concepts into simplified solutions
- Monitor changes in our control environment, evaluate SAA control design, and revise review plans to ensure we have appropriate coverage and alignment with Corp SA policy
- Recognize when SAAs are needed and serve as SME/advisor on the effective design and buildout of SAAs
- Ensure compliance with all Wholesale Self-Assurance program procedures
- Liaison with SAA data analytics group to ensure appropriate credible challenge of data for SAAs performed
- Monitor, track, and evaluate effectiveness of corrective actions that are created as a result of SAA activities. Partner with Issue Management cross functional teams as appropriate
- Track record of building and fostering strong relationship and collaborate effectively to drive and influence change
International Control Governance:
The International Control Governance team member will establish and execute a strong Governance program to drive consistency, efficiency and quality across the regions. The successful candidate will work closely with other senior leaders across IRM, Wholesale Control, International Control, Regional Control Leaders, PVSI, and WIM in the development and execution of company risk management strategies. Accordingly, critical success factors will include the ability to develop partnerships with many business and functional areas and identify trends, which may present opportunities or reflect gaps in the Companys risk management execution/direction.
- Establishing strong Governance and escalation routines through the formation/administration of, participation in and contribution to various risk-level and business-level committees, in coordination with IRM partners, Regional Chief Risk Officers, other Wholesale Control teams and the LOB businesses
- Designing front-line risk and control reporting, in coordination with the International Control Analytics, Reporting and Administration Leader and the Regional Business Control Leaders, across all regions, ensuring consistent standards and aggregation of reports at the legal entity, country and regional levels
- Providing input into the design of and executing front line accountabilities against various Enterprise Risk Programs, for example: Enterprise Risk Identification and Assessment, Enterprise Measurement (Risk Appetite, KRIs), New Business Initiatives, etc.)
- Participating in the Strategic Planning process
Procedures and Training:
The ideal candidate possesses a unique skill set and combination of expertise/experience in international financial services, risk management, regulatory and financial crimes control, and regulatory remediation. The successful candidate will work closely with senior leaders across Wholesale, as well as WIM and PVSI, in the development of risk management procedures and training. Successful candidate will have ability to distill complex concepts into simplified/targeted solutions, communicate those concepts effectively and ensure that all deliverables are met. They will use both experience and analysis to identify business problems and build compelling fact-based strategic recommendations. They will also have a demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong credible relationships with key stakeholder groups including Business Leaders, Independent Risk Management and Regulators.
- Identify, design, and implement cross-functional procedures and training for local jurisdictional requirements in conjunction with Regional Business Control Leaders and LOB Control teams
- Provide input into the development of enterprise-wide and region-specific risk programs and policies in coordination with Control Executive Risk program leaders and IRM
- Partner in the implementation of cross-functional regulatory change management in coordination with Regional Business Control Leaders and LOB Control teams
- Partner to design and implement controls to address outstanding cross-functional issues within the international regions, including issues identified by Wells Fargo Audit Services and Regulators
- Partner to ensure an adequate design of the risk management framework across all regions and escalate areas of concern of deficiency, including possible solutions
- Partner with key stakeholders across Wholesale, PVSI and WIM as well as other supporting organizations in the execution of the International Control transformation program
- Manage relationships and foster a team orientation with corporate, business heads, legal, audit and multiple US and non-US regulators
- Promote and maintain a risk culture that encourages an informed, measured, disciplined and balanced approach to understanding and managing business process risk and controls
International Control Administration (2):
The International Control Administration team will develop administrative capabilities to drive consistency, efficiency and quality across the various regulatory, operations and support functions within the International Control team.
- Coordinating and supporting administration and infrastructure needs across multiple regions, countries and legal entities, on behalf of the International Control Executive
- Managing expense/budget planning
- Establishing leadership meeting routines
- Preparing executive presentations
- Facilitating workforce planning (recruiting, hiring, onboarding)
- Facilitating team member engagement, talent management
- Managing communication and training
The successful candidate will work closely with other senior leaders across IRM and Business Administration teams, International Control, Regional Control Leaders, Payments, Virtual Solutions and Innovation (PVSI) and Wealth & Investment Management (WIM). Critical success factors will include the ability to develop partnerships with many business and functional areas and identify trends, which may present opportunities or reflect gaps in the Companys risk management execution/direction.
The team member(s) must be capable of initiating action and managing change in a fast-paced environment under regulatory scrutiny and heightened expectations. It requires a leader with strong relationship management, influencing, vision and execution skills. A key differentiator will be the ability to understand and operate successfully in a complex, heavily matrixed corporate environment. The role requires a sense of urgency, passion for results, and personal accountability for achievement while having ability to make timely and difficult decisions.
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture, which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business units risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
- 10+ years of experience in compliance, operational risk management (includes audit, legal, credit risk, market risk, or the management of a process or business with accountability for compliance or operational risk), or a combination of both; or 10+ years of IT systems security, business process management or financial services industry experience, of which 5+ years must include direct experience in compliance, operational risk management, or a combination of both
- 5+ years of management experience
- Ability to articulate complex concepts in a clear manner
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
Other Desired Qualifications
- Experience with Testing and monitoring coverage strategy for effective, efficient, and consistent front line Control Assurance activities
- Experience supporting the Control Assurance program adherence to Corporate Policies and regulatory expectations
- Ability to Manage inventory of all control assurance activities across areas of responsibility and develop a dynamic coverage approach where gaps may exist
- Ability to Control design and effectiveness testing and monitoring activities across areas of responsibility covering all operational risks and/or compliance risks
- Ability to Monitor Control Assurance Program metrics to measure ongoing quality of business processes and controls
- Experience with formal reporting and feedback processes to provide findings to internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage relationships and foster effective coordination with peers in corporate functions, business line heads, legal, audit and multiple U.S. and non-U.S. regulators
- Experience understanding of best-practice risk management techniques across financial services industry
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and communications skills with an ability to interact effectively with stakeholders and regulators, to include virtual, matrixed leadership experience and the ability to effectively manage and build relationships within the business and enterprise Risk function
- Proven leadership and project management skills to drive alignment across stakeholder groups to develop and deliver repeatable end-to-end risk management solutions and controls aligned with business/customer processes
- Deep understanding of risk framework, corporate/business policies, and programs to translate into plans for the business, function and/or risk type
- Ethical integrity and demonstrated ability to assess and determine when to raise concerns and escalate
- Ability to design and implement control analytics and reporting to drive effective decision-making and results
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and analyze issues when you collect data from multiple sources and know how to ask the right questions to obtain the information needed to size up a situation properly
- Proven experience in leading business support services providing effective administration and infrastructure support required to enable team performance
- Experience documenting procedures and preparing training/awareness materials for risk management programs and associated controls, especially operational risk, compliance, financial crimes, or enterprise risk programs, as well as integration across risk programs is critical
- Strong financial skills related to budget management and cost allocation
- Understanding of best-practice risk management techniques across financial services industry
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and communications skills with an ability to interact effectively with stakeholders, to include virtual, matrixed leadership experience and the ability to effectively manage and build relationships within the business and enterprise Risk function
- Exceptional skills in preparing executive-level presentations and talking points.
- Proven leadership and project management skills to drive alignment across stakeholder groups to develop and deliver repeatable end-to-end administration solutions
- Deep understanding of enterprise administration programs to translate into plans for the International Control team
- Strong Microsoft Office skills and the ability to prepare training/awareness materials that reinforce procedures
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to process multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to influence and consult strategically across a large organization and with various levels of leadership/stakeholders
- Previous experience executing regulatory remediation and corrective actions and interacting with regulators
- Working knowledge of Wholesale Banking
- Ability to identify and transform existing programs that may be ineffective or deficient from a technological, operational and/or human capital perspective
- Experience driving forward looking strategic plans and full lifecycle transformation leadership from idea inception to implementation to adoption into business as usual operations
- Proficient knowledge and experience in International Financial Services and regulatory agencies, especially those in the particular region
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.