Patient Access Representative
Sutter Health – Burlingame, CA
Serves as the face to face point of contact for the patient at a client location. Obtains all necessary information to register and financially clear patients. Greets patients/family members and obtains and/or verifies relevant information in the process of registering financially clearing patients for service delivery. Enhances the patient experience throughout all patient interactions by serving as the customer service point of contact at the point of service by demonstrating knowledge of Sutters Health system and service offerings.
Responsible for supporting the success of a high-performing shared services organization by helping to champion and drive the long-term MFSS vision. Helps foster an environment in which continuous improvement in business processes and services is welcomed and recognized. Participates in programs and in using tools in support of building a high performance culture via the standard MFSS responsibilities (e.g. performance measurement, people development, customer relationship management, etc.). Assignment Specific Responsibilities
- Greets patients/family members and obtains and/or verifies demographic, clinical, financial, and insurance information in the process of financially clearing patients for service delivery, including the entry of patient/guarantor information in the patient registration/accounting systems, collection of patient signatures on all appropriate forms and the imaging/copying of registration documents
- Utilizes inputs to authenticate and register patients for service delivery for patients who have registered through the Patient Access Center; for those who are not registered, completes the end-to-end process of registration through close-out for service delivery
- Obtains and processes signed physician orders
- Conducts insurance eligibility/benefit verification, referral/authorization, and financial education on designated accounts
- Calculates estimated patient liability, informs patient/guarantor and actively collects and/or processes patient payments
- Refers appropriate cases to financial counseling for follow-up and consultation
- Executes other duties as assigned, such as cashiering, bed management, and communications
- Enhances the patient experience throughout all patient interactions, which will be face-to-face, demonstrating knowledge of Sutters Health system and service offerings
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associates Degree or higher preferred.
- Preferred: Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) and/orCertified Patient Account Technician (CPAT) and/or Certified Revenue Cycle Representative (CRCR).
- Experience within a hospital or clinic environment, an insurance company, managed care organization or other financial service setting, performing financial counseling, financial clearance and/or customer service activities required.
- General knowledge of patient access financial counseling functions in acute and non-acute settings preferred. Working knowledge of medical terminology desired. Working knowledge and understanding of insurance terminology desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multiple computer systems, such as patient registration/accounting systems, document imaging, scanning, payment posting, proprietary payer websites and data quality monitoring, both accurately and efficiently.
Organization: Mills-Peninsula Health Services
Employee Status: Regular
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Variable
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Varied Days
Weekend Requirements: Every Other Weekend
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80