If you are current, permanent VA or federal employee, you should apply under job announcement CBFF-10521399-19-SRC before the closing date of that position (June 28, 2019).Responsibilities
There are four (4) positions. Three (3) are full-time and one (1) is part-time. When completing the assessment questionnaire, please indicate which work schedules for which you wish to be considered.
These positions are aligned under the Pharmacy Service of the Washington, DC VA Medical Center. As an Outpatient Pharmacy Technician, you will provide various technical support services within the department. You will be responsible for the processing, filling and distributing outpatient prescriptions for non-scheduled federal legend drugs and medical devices, over-the-counter products and supply items and distributing scheduled federal legend drugs. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Apply knowledge of drug use and dosage forms
- Screen drug orders for propriety and assist pharmacist in solving potential drug related problems
- Use a hospital computer system and associated software applications and processing options
- Prepare pharmaceuticals for parenteral administration;
- Prepare, handle, store, distribute and dispose of pharmaceutical items appropriately;
- Assist in the preparation of intravenous admixtures including but not limited to horizontal laminar flow hoods, admixing pumps, needles, syringes, various drug reservoirs;
- Operate and perform basic daily maintenance and minor repair of automated dispensing equipment;
Full-Time: 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Part-Time*: 8 hours per week, generally Saturday 8:00am to 4:30p (the time and shift may vary)
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Travel Required
- NOTE for the part-time position (8 hours/week): The salary listed represents full-time employment and will be pro-rated based on the actual number of hours worked each pay-period. Likewise, benefits and time-off accrual will also be prorated and based on your part-time work schedule.
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0661 Pharmacy TechnicianSimilar jobs
- Pharmacist Technicians
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Technicians, Pharmacist
- Technicians, Pharmacy
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
Qualifications To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 06/27/2019.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
Basic Requirements :
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education or Experience. A high school diploma or equivalent; or at least 3 months experience.
- Certification. Certification by the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is required at grades GS-6 and above.
- Physical Requirements. Must pass a pre-employment examination.
- English Language Proficiency. Pharmacy technicians appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Grade Determinations :
GS-6: Experience-One year experience at the next lower level, and must fully meet the KSAs at the next lower level. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical KSAs and the potential to acquire the assignment specific KSAs designated by an asterisk (*):
Certification. PTCB certification is required at this grade level and above.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Assignments. Pharmacy technicians may be assigned to any area of the pharmacy including expanded distributive function assignments; for example assignment as team leaders for specific process improvement teams involving technical areas or performing more highly complex duties including preparation of oncology agents for clinical pharmacy specialists. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher-level duties must consist of significant scope, complexity (difficulty), and range of variety, and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time.
- Ability to solve problems and make recommendations, e.g., troubleshoot operational problems and refer for appropriate action.
- Knowledge of the operation and care of automated equipment. 3. Knowledge of, and ability to follow, written instructions for compounding with aseptic technique for hazardous materials such as oncology agents.
- Knowledge, and ability to perform, compounding with aseptic technique for routine sterile products.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures for inventory management in specialized areas such as emergency carts.
- Knowledge of the computerized prescription process demonstrated by the ability to input prescriptions and medication orders.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G28, PHARMACY TECHNICIAN QUALIFICATION STANDARD
The full performance level of this position is GS-05. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is above the full performance level, GS-06.
Physical Standards: Employees are typically expected to work forty hours per week (part-time employees will work less than forty hours per week). This may include nights, weekends and/or holidays as assigned. Principle duties require repetitive use of hands and fingers (e.g., preparing IV admixtures, use of a computer keyboard, etc.). May require lifting and carrying light loads (up to 44lbs.), including boxes, equipment, unit dose-cassettes, and IV solutions; stooping or kneeling (e.g., to pick up items from the floor, remove and replace items on lower shelves, and to file documents in lower file drawers, etc.); sitting, walking, or standing for long periods of time (4-8 hours). Normal ranges of hearing and vision are required to perform work and communicate effectively; must have the visual ability to distinguish between basic colors and shades of color. An ability to perform tasks requiring rapid mental and muscular coordination functions simultaneously is necessary. Must be physically capable of operating various types of equipment used for the job. Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Additional information
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.How You Will Be Evaluated
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, rsum, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate s education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will recommend grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
OtherDrug test required
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 2850
- Proof of Certification by the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)
VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations is required with your application and can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search .
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50 s (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Diploma/ GED
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
- VA Form 2850
- Proof of Certification by the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)
- Proof of Marriage Status
- Reasonable Accommodation Documentation
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.