THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL CLOSE AFTER THE RECEIPT OF THE FIRST 150 APPLICATIONS OR June 19, 2019 , WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.Responsibilities
This position is located in Office of Budget, Finance and Management (BFM), Office of Security and Emergency Preparedness (OSEP), Headquarters, Woodlawn, Maryland.
- At the full performance level of a GS-12, the incumbent serves as senior Physical Security Specialist, guiding lower grade specialists in the Division as well as delegated facilities.
- Conducts inspections for security vulnerabilities in SSA facilities. Performs analyses to determine the existence of actual or potential threats to the security of lives, property and assets on Government-owned or leased property.
- Reviews physical security surveys and crime prevention assessments for accuracy and implementation. Recommends or takes corrective actions to eliminate or reduce the threat(s).
- Analyzes headquarters crime data for trends or security problems and coordinates corrective action.
- Studies other government and private sector programs similar to SSA s physical security program for comparison and seeks ways to improve SSA security operations.
- Develops and updates procedures used in the day-to-day physical security operation by SSA employees.
- Assists in scheduling and monitoring crime prevention and tenant awareness programs.
- Serves as senior security contracting representative in headquarters and coordinates inter- and interagency security problems.
- As directed, represents the Office Director or Division Director in meetings, discussions and negotiations with key management and supervisory personnel or union personnel concerning physical security needs or problems and provides solutions.
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.Supervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0080 Security Administration
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
Qualifications For GS-9: Applicants must have at least ONE of the following:
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Selective Service Registration, if applicable (www.sss.gov)
- Background and/or security investigation required
- Job offers are contingent on background / security investigation results
- Selectees may be required to serve a 1 year probationary period
- Relocation expenses will not be paid
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement
A. At least 52 weeks of experience at the GS-7 level or equivalent which is in or related to the work of the position to be filled and which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Such experience include managing projects for physical or protective security programs; analyzing security measures; formulating and reviewing budget requirements and resources; and developing and implementing various types of physical or protective security policies and procedures.
B. I possess a Masters or equivalent graduate degree OR have completed 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D., if related.
C. I have a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that together meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
For GS-11: Applicants must have at least ONE of the following:
A. At least 52 weeks of specialized experience at the GS-9 , or equivalent, which is in or related to the work of the position to be filled which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Such experience include managing complex projects for physical or protective security programs; analyzing security measures; formulating and reviewing budget requirements and resources; performing physical security inspections of facilities and proposing recommendations of countermeasures; and developing and implementing various types of physical or protective security policies and procedures.
B. Possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR have completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related.
C. A combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that together meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
For GS-12: Applicants must have the following:
At least 52 weeks of specialized experience at the GS-11 , or equivalent, which is in or related to the work of the position to be filled which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Such experience include managing complex projects for physical or protective security programs; analyzing security measures; formulating and reviewing budget requirements and resources; performing physical security inspections of facilities and proposing recommendations of countermeasures in accordance with Interagency Security Committee standards; developing and implementing various types of physical or protective security policies and procedures; and experience with new and emergent security technologies and practices.
Qualification standards and additional information for this position can be found here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-ADMIN Education
Providing Proof of Education or Substituting EducationAdditional information
For information on providing proof of education or substituting education for experience, visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-ADMIN
If you are qualifying on the basis of education or satisfying an educational requirement, submit a copy of your transcripts that includes your name, the name of the educational institution, course title(s), number of credits, grade, and date of completion. Unofficial transcripts or screenshots of electronic/web transcripts with the required information will be accepted at the time of application. You must submit your transcripts according to the application submission details of this announcement. Documents will not be accepted via email or regular mail. If selected, you may be required to provide your official college transcripts prior to the effective date of the personnel action placing you into the new position.
Selective Service: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. See www.sss.gov .How You Will Be Evaluated
Additional selections may be made for this vacancy six months from the closing date of this announcement.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The evaluation you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire, which is designed to capture the desired competencies for this position. These competencies include:
Please make sure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your evaluation. The questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete. To preview the questions, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10525014
- Knowledge of the concepts, theories and principles of physical security
- Ability to conduct analyses pertaining to physical security initiatives or programs
- Ability to update procedures for a physical security programs (GS-9)
- Ability to develop procedures for a physical security programs (GS-11)
- Skills in implementing physical security programs (GS-12)
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
Your application will be evaluated under the Category Rating method, based on your responses to the Assessment Questions. If you meet the basic requirements for the position, your application will be evaluated and placed into one of three categories:
1 - Qualified Category - Candidates who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements.
2 - Well Qualified Category - Candidates who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements and demonstrate a satisfactory level of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the position.
3 - Best Qualified Category - Candidates who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements and demonstrate a high level of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the position.
Candidates eligible for veterans preference will be placed ahead of other candidates in the appropriate category for which they have been rated. Additionally, preference eligibles who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent and who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements will automatically be placed in the Best Qualified Category. Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
Not RequiredDrug test required
NoPosition sensitivity and risk
High Risk (HR)Trust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
You must submit supporting documentation by the closing date of the vacancy announcement to claim certain types of preference.
INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP): ICTAP provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority for competitive service vacancies. To receive selection priority, candidates must meet the requirements for the Well Qualified category as described in the vacancy announcement. Candidates must also provide:
For more information visit http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee guides/career transition.asp .
- proof of eligibility with your application. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation Notice of Personnel Action, (SF-50); and
- proof of your most recent performance rating of at least fully successful (Level III) or equivalent.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: If you are claiming veterans preference, you must submit a copy of your military discharge certificate (DD 214 member 4 copy) or an official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty. To be acceptable, the document must show Character of Service. If you are claiming 10-point veterans preference based on a service-connected disability, you must also submit the required documentation specified on the reverse of the SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans Preference (SF 15) . Applicants claiming derived preference must submit the SF-15 and the required documentation specified on the reverse of the SF 15. Preference will be granted based on the documents received. For more information visit the Vet Guide .
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO VETERANS : The Office of Personnel Management has published the end date for Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) as August 31, 2010. To receive veterans preference for service during the Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom era, you must have served for more than 180 days between September 11, 2001 and August 31, 2010 OR be in receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal. The updated CFR language is available here . Other qualifying eligibility for preference (e.g., disability) remains unchanged.If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.